Chapter 14 - Summers End

Chapter 13

“What are thinking about?” I asked curled up into his chest overlooking the ocean in the cab of his truck.

“Just you,” he replied placing a kiss on the top of my head.

“Can I ask you something?” I wondered.

“Sure firer away,” he replied looking at me warily.

I deliberated in my head what I was going to say for a moment.

“Do you ever think about the future?” I asked.

He just looked down than planted a passionate kiss on my lips. He kept his head just away from mine our noses touching looking into each other’s eyes.

I was so tempted to just pull him back into a kiss but I knew if I did that he would never answer the question.

“Does it matter,” he whispered.

“Yes it does know I’m serious what do you see,” I questioned putting my hand on his chest as he attempted to place another kiss on me.

“The truth?” he asked.

What a stupid question of course the truth what else.

I nodded my head not wanting to say what I was thinking.

“I see you,” he said.

When those words left his mouth my heart skipped a beat; I felt my face go bright red and the biggest smile spread across my face.

I grabbed hold of his shirt pulling him into a kiss.

He moved his hand to the back of my head tangling his fingers in my hair and placing the other on my lower back pulling me closer so I was pressed against him.

We were like this for the next couple of minutes. In the past couple of weeks our relationship has been getting closer and we were having a heap more make out sessions… and secretly I loved it.

“What do you see?” he asked pulling out of the kiss.

I sat back in my seat and thought about it a cheeky smile spread across my face I opened the door and ran of the car laughing.

Don’t ask me why I just did.

“What do you see?” he yelled chasing me around the field.

“Life!” I said running to the barrier of the look out.

“I’ll ask you later,” he whispered into my ear wrapping his arms around my body.

“I told you; I see the future and in my future there’s life,” I said resting my head on his chest.

“See this remember this; never forget this moment,” he said scanning his hand across the horizon.

“I’ll never forget this,” I agreed.

I felt his arms release me, I turned around to see him fumbling with his pocket; I turned back to the ocean holding the rails, I could see the rain coming in across the sea.

“Bell this summer has been the best one of my life,” Matt said holding a small box in his hands.

“It’s been my favourite summer too, you’ve helped me let loose, have fun, without being afraid of my parents,” I replied wondering what was in the box.

He suddenly got really nervous, looking to the ground playing with his fingers.

“Matt whats wrong,” I questioned.

He slowly got down on one knee; the colour drained from my face, I was frozen my eyes widened.

Is he?

He’s not?

“Matt what are you doing, are you stupid get up,” I questioned, freaking out.

He opened the box to revel, a silver ring with two dimonds one bigger than the other, the stones were placed just off centre to eachother it was absolutely beautiful.

“This isn’t an engagement ring,” he reassured me.

“OH thank god,” I breathed.

“Well not yet anyway, this is a promise ring. That when you go back to North Dakota I will be yours; and when we finish high school and college or photo school that I will replace this ring with a real one. And I hope you promise me the same,” Matt said, hope lacing his voice; making me tear up.

I stared in wonder of the ring, there were so many things I wanted to say, but as I planned out what I was going to say it sounded stupid so there really was only one answer.

“Yes,” I stated wiping away a joyful tear.

“Are you serious,” Matt replied like my answer was a surprise; as he stood up.

“Yes,” I repeated nodding my head franticly jumping into his arms, giving him a few quick kisses.

I handed out my left hand; he slid it on my ring finger.

“Perfect,” I muttered as the ring took its place on my finger.

His lips were about to touch mine when my phone started going off.

“Sorry I got to get this,” I said ruining the moment.

I pulled out my phone to see it was Dad ringing me.

“Hello,” I answered.

“Isabell where are you? We need to leave now if we don’t want to miss the flight!” Dad yelled trough the phone.

“Yeah I’m on my way,” I quickly answered hanging up.

“IT’s time Matt,” i stated walking up to him.

“Really?” he asked shocked.

“I have to go home,” I said in a fake voice trying not to get sad.

Matt just nodded grabbing my hand leading me towards the truck.

The whole drive home we didn’t let go of each other but the ride was quiet most likely trying not to cry, when we got home the car was already running and all the bags were pack, Dad was in the front seat mom sipping on a cuppa on the porch.

“Bell sweet heart you ready,” Mom wondered coming up to me as soon as I got out of the truck.

“Mom can I just say goodbye to Matt,” I asked seeing Matt coming around the truck.

“I’ll and buy you some time,” she whispered giving me a peck on the check heading towards the car.

“So this is goodbye,” Matt said looking to the ground sadness in his eyes.

“It doesn’t have to be,” I replied, grabbing hold of Matt’s hand.

“I’ll ring you every day, not go a minute without thinking about you,” Matt said making me feel all warm and fuzzy.

“I just want to say no matter where we are… we’ll always be together,” I said giving him passionate kiss.

“You’ll always be in my heart… you’re my first love,” Matt said in between kisses.

Beep. Beep.

“Come on! I’d like to get home!” Dad called becoming impatient.

I pulled away, leaving it to the last second to let go off his hand, only because our arms weren’t long enough.

I didn’t look back knowing if I did I would break down, I opened the back door getting in, I wound down the window and blowed Matt a kiss.

I sure that he mouthed I love you.

I sat back in my seat tears pouring out; I whispered “I love you.”

Dad then hit the gas and my summer was over.