Riley's House

[Maya's POV]

I woke up to the sound of my alarm clock buzzing underneath my pillow. I quickly shut it off and went back to sleep. After a few minutes I got a text from Riley.

Riley- hey get up you need to be here early.

Maya- BUT WHY?!😖😫

Riley- I have a surprise for you

Maya- I'm heading over rn

Riley- k see you in a bit

I sighed as I put my phone away and got out of bed. I wonder what Riley's surprise is. Probably something shiny or something with rainbows on it. But I don't know she can be unpredictable at times.

I opened the door to my room making sure nobody was there and slipped into the bathroom. If you knew who my foster parents were you'd try to sneak into every place you go into with fear that they might be watching.

I brushed my teeth, took a quick shower, and headed straight for my room. But instead, I bump into my step dad.

He gives me a a death stare and then kindly asks "Honey, why are you outside?"

"I just got out of the shower." I answered

"Oh, ok" he says.

He may seem nice but trust me it's all an act. When he's nice to me it usually means my mom is home. He doesn't want to loose her. I mean, he doesn't do anything but sit on the couch, brings his friends, over and gets drunk. Without my foster mother, he wouldn't be able to afford his beer.

Anyways, I quickly got dressed and went out my fire escape. As I was walking to Riley's house I saw someone familiar. Lucas. I wonder why he's out here so early.

So I walk over to him, "Ranger Rick!"

"Oh, hey Maya." He says.

"Care to explain why your in the park this early in the morning?"

"Nah I'm good." He said with a smirk on his face.

"Come on.", I plead, "Is huckleberry afraid to tell a little girl about what's going on? Chi-"

I was about to call him a chicken but he interrupted me "Aren't you supposed to be at Riley's?"

Shit! I forgot about Riley.

"Geez, Hart! No need to swear!"

I said that out loud?

"Yeah. You did."

"Well then, bye. But we're not done with this conversation yet."

"Keep telling yourself that."

I got to Riley's, see the one and only Joshua Matthews. So that was her surprise. She probably thinks I still have a huge crush on him that I've had since 7th grade. Sad thing is I got over him a long time ago.

[Riley's POV]
Where is she?!?! I hope she likes my surprise! She's had a crush on uncle Josh ever since 7th grade. I think it's ridiculous, but if he makes her happy, I'm all for it. But Lucas is off the table. She knows he's mine and if she takes him there will definitely be a war.
"Peaches!" I said as I interrupted their conversation.
Maya was staring at Uncle Josh for a few seconds then snapped out of it "Riles! Ready to go?" Huh, I wonder what they were talking about.
"Yah just lemme say good by to my parents."
"Ok." She said with a slight frown on her face.
"Bye mom, bye dad!"
"Bye honey, have a nice day!" My parents replied in unison.
"Ok, let's go!"
We walked out the door and and headed toward the subway.