Chapter 25

A/N: I'm going to shoot for 3 updates today, since I only did one yesterday. Just remember that I've only read The Selection, so I have no idea what happens after the third or so week. So I'm completely making all of this up on my own.

Aquia's dress is on the right.

Aquia looks almost like a bride herself- instead of her usual blue, teal, or turquoise, she's wearing white and periwinkle tonight. The color gives her skin a darker tone. Paired with the diamond necklace and earrings she's wearing, she looks like a real princess.

Some announcements are made, and once again we're interviewed by Silon. My interview comes quickly. Aquia comes before me once again, and she's absolutely amazing. She says that though she hasn't gotten to know Alexander much, she knows Mason very well and is happy to say that she thinks she might make it to an Elite.

I'm the last to go- again- but this time before the princes. One thing I do notice- only Aquia, Celine, and I have kissed the princes. And Celine, I've found, has kissed both- this irritated Aquia- and she was happy to go on about how wonderful Alexander is- which irritated me. She gives me a smug smile as I walk down to the chair across from Silon.

"Cassiana. So we meet again." Everyone laughs.

I let out a dramatic sigh. "I'm last, as usual." I shake my head. "Half of the country is ready to go to sleep now that it's my turn." My joke is met with laughter from Mason. I stick my tongue out at him.

"So have you and our princes been together lately?"

I nod. "Yes. Though admittedly I've seen Alexander more than Mason. I think he's sick of me."

Silon laughs. "Oh, you are a funny one."

I smile. "I try." At this Alexander rolls his eyes. "I saw that, Alexander." Even the king and queen laugh.

"So what have you done with our Alexander?"

I shrug. "Talked, really. We've gone for walks. Not nearly as interesting as some people." I cast a yes-I-mean-you look in Aquia's direction. 

"And have you kissed either of our princes?"

My flaming cheeks give me away.

"You have? Which one?"

"Both..."

Some people in the audience clap, and someone even whistles. "Both? Were you the first one to kiss them?"

I shrug, still blushing furiously. "I think Aquia was the first to kiss Mason. As for Alexander..."

"Now you have to tell us when it happened."

I bite my lower lip and look over at Alexander. He seems completely unaffected, and gives me the tiniest nod. "The first actual interview that I had with you. That night."

"You saw our prince at night?"

"Both of them. I was just friends with the both of them then, and then Mason had to go do something." I shrug. "I'm used to princes randomly coming to my room in the middle of the night by now. They're completely unpredictable!"

The queen raises her eyebrows at her sons. Mason shrugs and pretends to act like he has no idea. Silon reaches up and touches a small headphone in his ear. "It was wonderful talking to you, Lady Cassiana, but unfortunately we need time to talk to our princes." He introduces me one last time and I return to my seat with applause.

Mason just says about how wonderful everyone is and all of that, and when asked if he knows who he might want as his princess, he nods and looks behind him at us girls. He winks, and several girls are about a second away from fanning themselves pathetically with their hands, but it's Aquia that the statement is directed to.

When Alexander sits down, the cheers don't stop for several minutes. Mason's was the same way, but Alexander's seems so much longer. My heart beats faster.

"Hello, Prince Alexander."

"Hello, Silon." He pauses. "Oh, just ask whatever you want to ask. You're radiating enthusiasm." The final statement comes out tinged with sarcasm.

Silon doesn't catch it. He jumps right to the point. "We already know that your brother has a girl that he wants to be his bride. Do you?"

Alexander adjusts his position in his seat, letting out a breath. He glances back at all of us- his eyes land on me, but since Celine is right in front of me, it could easily be passed off as him looking at her. "This might sound shocking but yes, I do. But that's only if she wants to put up with me for the rest of her life."

Celine, thinking he's talking about her-and maybe he is- has a look like yes, Alexander. I do. I can see it on a screen.

"Care to tell us who?"

Alexander shakes his head once. "Nope. I'm keeping this one a secret...for now."

"For how long?"

"Until there are three or four Elite left."

Several audience members groan.

"What?" Alexander gives them a oh-stop-your-whining look. "I don't think I was supposed to mention this- and none of the Selected knew about this before now- but we're narrowing it down to ten Elite tomorrow. So we'll pretty much be cutting it in half."

"Ten? Why ten?"

"Five for me, and five for my brother. We haven't cut anyone for a while, and so we decided who we wanted to stay, and who we decided would be better off with someone else. So we have the list ready. You'll find out who it is that's being cut tomorrow."

"Do we get a hint?"

Alexander groans. "Fine. Ten- maybe more. I don't know how many are still here- girls will go home."

"Is that all?" Silon whines.

"Yes. I won't say anything else. Mason would kill me."

Silon sighs. "Well, we don't want a dead prince. Very well. Thank you, Prince Alexander!" Everyone cheers as he returns to his seat. When he sits down, he winks at me. No one else is paying enough attention to notice.