Chapter Five - Is That An Ace In The Hole Or A Joker?

~~~~

~
~
~
~

I woke up the next morning strangely happy, feeling a small skip in my step as I walked the halls of school. It all felt a bit strange, maybe even surreal. Who does this kind of thing? It felt like stepping inside one of the romance novels I'd read so many times. Of course, I still kept my guard up. Who knew if this person had a romantic interest in me, anyhow? Oliver probably just wanted to have a good buddy. I tried to ignore the slight deflation my happiness took at the thought, but merely brushed it off. If Oliver wanted a buddy, I would be the best book buddy out there.

Sliding to a stop in front of my locker, I twisted in the combination, wiggling my hips stupidly to a song I heard earlier in the morning on the radio. Stupid song, really, but the beat got stuck in my head and shortly after, the lyrics. Or should I say, lyric. It felt like there was only one word throughout the entire song.

Modern pop culture, I tell you.

"Hey, Pumpkin!"

Shelby ran out to my side and tossed an arm around my shoulder, giving me a wide grin. Wrinkling my nose, my attention instantly diverted elsewhere. One of the annoying things about being me? It felt like you were the shortest person around. And I most likely was. Almost everyone seemed to tower over me. A lot of the girls wore heels and the guys were just giants in the first place. There, of course, were a few select people who enjoyed the air closer to Earth. Like me.

I pushed her arm off, a stupid grin on my face. "What are your plans for the evening Shelby?"

We hadn't hung out in what felt like forever. We definitely needed some girl time.

For the past couple of days, it seemed that wherever we were, that's where you would find Evan as well. He became something like our third musketeer, the missing link of our group. So, needless to say, I absolutely adored the guy. But I needed to just be with Shelby, too. I knew her dad went away on business quite a bit and that he left a day or two ago for another trip. I wanted to know how she was holding up, but with Evan there, the task became difficult.

So I decided I needed to get Shelby alone for a while. We could rent movies starring Hugh Jackman and Leonardo DiCaprio and ogle them for a few hours, stuffing our faces with pizza, ice cream and chips. Her mom would most likely pop in for a few minutes to share a couple of laughs with us before leaving us to our idiocy once more.

We would sing karaoke loud and off key, not gaining any points, but having the time of our lives.

I needed a night like that.

"I think Rachel wants a night with me, actually. She wants to go for some mani-pedis and talk," Shelby replied easily.

If there existed one thing Shelby loved, that would be a good mani-pedi, especially with her step-mom. Mentally rolling my eyes, I wondered why I called Rachel her step-mom. She had proven herself to be a real parent to Shelby. Okay ... I thought. No more step-mom! From this moment henceforth, Rachel shall be known as ... mom. Wow, took me long enough to deem her worthy ... Shelby's been calling her mom for the past six months ...