Chapter Twenty - Cooky Conundrums & Cliche Cliffhangers

~~~~

~
~
~
~

So that's what it feels like.

That was the first thought that went through my head about Keegan running after the incident. Now I felt bad for all the time I ran from tense situations with Shane. It sucked.

I stood there for who knows how long, staring at the door and trying to piece everything together in my mind. Clearly the answers were right in front of me.

But in my hazy brain that just got rocked right out of this world, it took me a few seconds to process.

Keegan was the mysterious Oliver. I suppose it made sense. I mean, Keegan was always the quiet one. He shied away from the rest of the world. He knew books inside and out, knowing novels that even I had never heard of.

That in itself was quite a feat.

I still kept a slight sliver of doubt, but it seemed to completely be overwhelmed by everything inside me screaming that this was no doubt the truth. After the shock wore off, though, I felt the need to smack Keegan.

How could he possibly be around me so much and then write those letters? How much of it did he actually use to get me to be comfortable around him? I squinted my eyes and shook my head. No that couldn't be it.

Both Keegan and Oliver were sweet and nice. Neither ever showed any sorts of animosity towards me. The more I thought about it, the more I had it settled in my mind that Keegan and Oliver were one and the same.

And those thoughts were the only ones that followed me the rest of the day and over the next several.

Translation: After Keegan ran out of my house and left me standing there gaping like a dry fish, I've barely seen him and we haven't spoken once.

In the one class we did have together, he came in right as the bell would ring, sit on the other side of the room and then leave as soon as class was over.

It taught me to never play ninja again. Knowing that Keegan was avidly avoiding me grated on my nerves to no end, especially considering the fact that we have so much to talk about. So much still needed to be said.

Which brings us to the third day of Keegan's disappearance.

The setting: Washington High School

The scene: Shelby and Evan standing by Shelby's car, only to be met with an anxious teen girl.

Rushing to meet my friends, I blurted, "Have you seen Oliver? I mean ... Keegan! I mean ... oh for the love of God I don't know what his name is but I need to talk to him! Now!"

I slightly bounced up and down looking around for the tall frame with dark hair, but to no avail. It seemed as if Keegan simply didn't want to speak to me. He cleverly avoided any areas in which I would be. He avoided the library and the school lawns. He never came into the hallway that my locker was located in.