Chapter Twelve - Books & Bowling

~~~~

~
~
~
~

The smell of the library completely overwhelmed me, making me question choosing this as a study spot over home or even the cafe. Ignoring the musky scent of 'I've Never Been Properly Cleaned' that inched out from every single portion of the large room, I looked for my study partner.

Seeing all the books, however, reminded me that I hadn't checked my tree for letters much lately. It's been at five days since the last time I searched for a letter and I felt really bad that I hadn't.

Eyes scanning the different tables, I searched for the mop of dark brown hair that should have been clearly in view. However, it became increasingly clear that Keegan was nowhere to be found. At least not on this level of the building. With a disgruntled grunt, I decided to check upstairs, though I highly doubted I would find my partner there. Last I checked, the upstairs mainly consisted of children's books.

As quietly as humanly possible, I hurried up the stairs, making sure my sneakers didn't disturb anyone. Upon reaching the top, I poked my head up and glanced around, looking between the railing.

And the sight that caught my eyes made a grin spread across my face.

Sitting Indian style on the floor, between a puppet stand and a short shelf filled with children's picture books, was Keegan. At his feet, there laid several books of varying colors and sizes. The little girl closest to him had her small brow furrowed and look between all the books. She seemed to have an issue picking which ones she wanted.

I took in the two little girls with him, noting the distinct differences between them all. Where Keegan had the bright blue eyes and chocolate colored hair, the little girls were red headed with dark green eyes.

Peeking between the spaces on the railing, I grinned as I watched.

They looked nothing alike, but they acted every bit the part of family. One of the little girls stood in front of the small puppet stand, her face set into the picture of concentration. At the moment, it looked as if she couldn't decide which puppet she wanted to use first. One her left hand, she bounced around a unicorn, most likely seeing if it fit the character voice she had up in her mind.

But on the other hand, she had a giraffe, it's long head making the head sway back and forth with every movement. She seemed so torn between the two and her lower lip was pushed out into a pout.

On the other side of Keegan, the other little girl concentrated on the selection of books before her, occasionally pulling one out and handing it to Keegan for him to set on the pile of book she had started.

Keegan whispered something to her after he had been handed four more books; most likely he told her that she would have to stop somewhere.

With a sad look on her face, little girl number two nodded, looking completely dejected before she lit up. Grabbing several books, she proudly stalked towards a bean bag chair in the corner, settling in to read the books she had selected and narrowing down the number she would have to check out.