Chapter 45 - The Last Goodbye

[NOT EDITED]

Katherine's POV

My eyes wandered around , taking in every detail, from the white walls , the uncomfortable metallic chairs , to the marble floor.

Everything is so oddly familiar.

No , not just familiar.

Everything is just the same.

Even the white big door , that everyone is staring at waiting someone to get out, is the same, With the same big red sign above it indicating that whoever is inside is struggling between life and death.

life and death..The same line but viewed from different sides, where beauty and melancholy lies in between.

And the trouble is , we think we have time , we think that the end is so far from the beginning.

What we don't know is that in a blink of an eye , in a mere second , everything can change, we will just find ourselves on the other side leaving everything behind us.

My vision blurred as i found myself staring at the red sign for too long lost in my thoughts, so i averted my gaze and looked away.

Turning my head , i looked at them , i can see them but why i am not able to hear anything , as if my mind is totally blocked out.

Zoe's puffy red eyes showed how worried she is , her husband pulled her closer and hugged her mumbling some words to her maybe in an attempt to calm her.

His grandma , her eyes full with tears that are threatening to escape any moment now.

Even his parents , the people who don't care , they look worried , it is written all over their faces.

And Alex beside me , his head in his hands as his leg is tapping the ground continuously showing how nervous he is.

They are all worried, like me.

But why i am not crying, my eyes feel so dry , as if i ran out of tears.

I looked at my hands in my lap and saw them shaking , my whole body was shaking.

I closed my eyes taking a deep breath trying to at least breath normally.

But I couldn't, i was panicking .

Footsteps , i heard footsteps, the first thing my mind registered since i arrived here.

I lifted my eyes up ,the doctor went out of the operation room but I couldn't dare to look at his face.

I don't want to see his expression, Afraid maybe..

They all rushed toward him , while i stayed frozen in my spot , I couldn't move , my whole body feels numb even my mind does.

I don't want to hear what he is going to say , I don't want to endure that pain again.

I can't, i just can't..

I bowed my head as i tried to look only at the ground , I tried to block myself from everything around me , from all the voices.