Chapter 5

The next morning found every single guard of the palace standing to attention before the Royal Prince as he instructs them to search the land for the maiden that fits the glass slipper.

Every home must be visited and every maiden must try it on.
But he would know immediately who she is once he sees her.

That day he was summoned to his father's side as he took his last breath and granted his son permission to find his true love.

They took off in search for her in all four corners of the kingdom trying the slipper on all of the maidens but sadly so none could fit it. Maidens of all shapes and sizes forced and pushed their feet into the magic slipper but it was no use.

The very last house was of Ella's and as they announced why they had come, Ella gleefully stood up and ran to her room in search of the other slipper that she had hidden away.

To her surprise her step-mother was waiting for her holding the other slipper. She knows.

As she stood to face Ella she began to speak, naming her conditions. If she accepts she gets the slipper and will be allowed to try on the other as the royal guards arrive.

"I demand that you make me head of the royal family and give your sisters  proper husbands when you become Queen." She slowly walks in circles around Ella.

Appalled, Ella looked up to the determined gaze of her step-mother.

"You really expect me to do such a thing. After you have humiliated me, mistreated me and put me to do the most....sinful things.  You want me to help you?" She shook her head.

"I gave you a roof to sleep under, a bed to sleep in and food to eat you ungrateful bitch," her step-mother stepped closer grabbing her arm tight.

"Yes, you have step-mother you sacrificed a lot to have me under your care. But in my own home... but no worries, finally you will be rid of me. I am sorry I cannot do your bidding," Ella answered back sarcastically.

"Very well then, I guess you won't be needing this," she shoved Ella away and smashed the glass slipper to the ground.

Picking up her skirts she turned away as Ella horrified dropped to the floor in tears slowly picking up the shards of glass.

"Clean all of this up." She yells as she walks off and locks Ella in the room.

Hours had passed when the Royal guard arrived to their estate and announced the Princes decree.  They were ushered in and escorted to the drawing room where each step-sister sat and tried on the slipper.

After several attempts the slipper did not fit. As the royal guard filed out of the home, the captain of the guard asked if there were any more maidens in the house that could try on the glass slipper.

"Unless you would like me to try them on kind sir, I can assure you it is only my daughters and I that reside here," she batted her eyes with a coquettish smile.

The guard nodded and took their leave.

Out in the front yard as little by little the guards mounted their horses to leave, a beautiful voice could be heard singing from afar.

Another guard stepped forward mesmerized by the sound revealing himself as the Prince in disguise. On his order he tells the captain to investigate and see who that lovely voice belongs to.

In no time, the captain of the guard saw it was coming from a window on the far end of the estate in the attic. Again they went to the front door where her step-mother answered it.

Hesitating to let the guards search the premises, he stood aside and the Prince introduces himself then demands entrance. Flabbergasted and in shock she stood by and trailed behind them as they searched every corner of the house until they came upon Ella's room.