14: Spending The Day

Entwining our fingers together, he drove us to the beach after a dinner at the diner.

As usual, he would tease me endlessly which got me mildly pissed off even though I knew that he was doing this deliberately.

Instead of retorting back, I appreciated this moment we had for the last time in my life. After today, we would be separated and I will forever leave his life.

And Roderick would not be able to use me against Chase anymore.

All will be good once I leave.

He turned down the corner and parked the car perfectly in its spot as he killed the ignition. "We're here, babe." He said, motioning towards the door while I pushed past it, but ended up getting trapped by the seatbelt.

A sigh escaped from his lips as he leaned over and removed the seatbelt, looking into my eyes intently.

It was as though he could figure me out. Yet, I was scared he would be able to see through me and hold me back.

I didn't want to land him in trouble anymore.

"You seem troubled, babe. Care to tell me?" He asked, bringing my forehead to his lips as he pressed a kiss on the surface.

I shook my head in response and forced a smile. "Nothing's wrong." I assured, pushing past him as I got out of the car.

As I waited for him to lock the car before joining me, I took in several deep breaths, giving myself mental prep talks to survive through this without a hitch.

This was the last day I could spend with him and I didn't want to ruin this memorable moment.

Not now, because I wouldn't be able to bring back this moment in the future even if I wanted to.

Arms were wrapped around my waist while I leaned back against the warmth provided by his body.

"You don't seem fine, babe. Come on, tell me what's wrong." He urged, nudging my neck with his nose.

Closing my eyes briefly, I shook my head again and took in a deep breath, reminding myself that I should harden my heart.

"Nothing's wrong, Chase. Come on, I want to take a stroll along the beach with you." Please say yes and stop asking. I silently prayed in my heart, knowing that it was now or I wouldn't be able to do this with him in the future.

By the time he realised that I was gone, we wouldn't be able to bring back this moment. All that would be left would not be the best memories.

So to make it the best, it was now.

"Alright." He whispered, his hot breath fanning my neck as he slipped his fingers in between mine.

I sighed in relief, tightening his fingers wrapped around mine as we walked down the lane under the comfortable silence.

Before we reached the sandy area, I took of my flats and began to walk on foot while he did the same as well.

Holding onto my flats with one hand and entwining my fingers with his on another, I found myself looking at him even though he was appreciating the sunset at the moment.

I would always remember his face from the cheekbones to his jaws, how his touch always warmed its way to my heart and how his witty remarks always pissed me off.

It was then did I realised that he was everything I needed and I knew that I couldn't live without him.

But I had to learn to let go in order to protect him. He, alone, was against Roderick and his gang.

It would be impossible to ward them off just for the sake of keeping me by his side.

It isn't worth it.

His eyes met mine, softening at the sight of me. I would always remember how his eyes softened whenever he see me.

It was like he had changed so much from being a bully to a gentleman.

It was so ironic, something that I would have never expected.

He smirked, "I know I'm handsome. But what's underneath my shirt would be even more mouth-watering."

Rolling my eyes at his words, I scoffed in response, "You're impossible."

"But you love me." He stated while I tensed at his words.

Was this love? Was the sacrifice I was going to make for him considered love?

+++

Vote. Comment. Share.

Enjoying this book? Add this book to your library and your reading list.

Decided to end this book soon, I still have a few more chapters planned in my head.

P.S There's going to be a sequel ;)

27th September 2016