Chapter 32

I didn't slow down until I was certain that I was a good distance away from Seth and out of his sight. Taking a sharp right, I allowed my back to rest against the cold, marble wall as I tried to catch my breath.

I lightly touched my right wrist and traced the fading red lines where his callused fingers had been gripping on. My left hand slowly lifted up to touch my lips, where his lips had been only a few seconds ago.

He was right. I did kiss him back. It did affect me.

That doesn't mean that I'm going to forget everything that happened between us. He used me. He used me for his own selfish reasons and I was never going to be able to forgive him for that. Besides, who knows whether everything he's saying to me now is the truth or still a part of the act.

No, I'm not going to make the same mistake twice. This time, I'm going to go with my instincts and not let my feelings and emotions consume me.

I was going to move on.

After three weeks of successfully avoiding Seth, I was starting to feel myself revert back to the way I was. The way I was happy. I don't know why I ever thought getting into a relationship would be a good idea. I was not made to function in relationships, I was never the sappy kind yet somehow, with Seth, I forced myself to believe that I liked those things. I never did and I never will.

My parents, on the other hand, were more heartbroken than I was. My dad, in particular, was devastated when I told him that Seth and I were done for good. Okay, that may be a slight exaggeration but the smile from his faded and wrinkles appeared on his forehead and he just looked genuinely sad. Just like Seth had managed to blind me with his 'love', he seemed to have blinded my father too. I must admit, he's got charm.

Other than trying to avoid Seth, I channelled my time and energy into trying to fix things between Tyler and I. My main focus was helping Tyler pass his subjects. I didn't realise how invested I had become in helping him. We spent countless hours going over complicated concepts from every subject that he found difficult. The only subject he seemed to be enjoying was Math, which made things easier for us since Math and I never got along well. The table in the right corner of the library became our second home. Seth did happen to see us more than once but other than shooting daggers in our direction, he didn't react. I would be lying if I said I wasn't happy to see him disturbed by the fact that I was hanging out with Tyler.

I exhaled and intertwined my hands together whilst resting my elbows on my knees. A quick glance at the clock told me that Tyler had been in the principal's office for about a minute and forty seconds. After over a month of intense studying, the time to receive the verdict finally arrived.

My legs continued shaking alternatively whilst my teeth bit down on my bottom lip, waiting to draw out blood any minute. What was taking so long?

After watching the second hand tick for twelve more seconds, the door opened. I stood up immediately, my eyes searching Tyler's face. His eyes averted my gaze as he shut the door behind him, a piece of paper grasped in his left hand.

"What happened?" I asked, trying to sound calm.

His eyes finally flickered to meet mine. He pressed his lips together, flattening his mouth out. His Adam's apple bobbed up and down as he swallowed slowly.

"Did you pass?" I questioned softly, afraid to hear his answer.

His pressed lips broke out into a grin as he took two long strides towards me and wrapped his arms around my waist. Lifting me off the floor, he spun me around, causing a squeal to escape my throat and echo in the silent office. My arms reflexively wrapped around the back of his neck as I tried to maintain balance.