Chapter 33

Oddly enough, as I was pulling on a pair of jean shorts under my hoodie, I felt the unfamiliar sense of nervousness wash over me, realising that I was going out with Tyler. It was going to be fine, nothing more than a simple meal with a friend.

I grabbed my house keys and phone before going down. I unlocked my phone on the way down to look up the text where Tyler had sent me the address to the pizza place that he claimed was 'delectable.' That boy gets one A in English and he thinks he's some fancy English kid with fancy vocabulary.

Mom was lounging on the couch, flipping through the countless channels on the television with a bowl of chips. I sat on the couch, waiting for someone on Uber to accept me.

"Going somewhere?" she asked, sitting up straight.

"Yeah, I'm going out with Tyler remember?" I said, causing her face to relax.

She muted the television and set the remote down. "Dad and I are really, really proud of you, Ava. It's a very selfless thing, what you did. You helped someone graduate, do you realise how big of a deal that is? That boy would've been held back if it weren't for you."

"I'm sure he would've pulled through," I brushed her off.

My Uber was six minutes away.

"Don't put yourself down that like," she reprimanded, her eyebrows pulling in as she set the bowl on the table and turned to face me. "You were definitely a major reason why he pulled through. And I think it's nice that he's trying to show you thankful he is by taking you out for dinner."

Five minutes.

"Yeah, it's sweet of him," I agreed with a nod.

Satisfied that I didn't protest in response, she leaned back against the couch. "I would like to meet that boy, by the way."

Three minutes.

"Didn't you already meet him when he came over once to study?" I pointed out.

"Yes, but I'd like to have a proper conversation with him, get to know him," she explained, gesturing with her hands.

I mustered up a polite chuckle, "Why do you want to meet him?"

One minute.

"Because he seems like a nice, hardworking boy," she answered. "Stop interrogating me, I don't really need a reason to meet him."

"We'll see," I concluded, putting a close the topic.

Your Uber driver is arriving.

"Alright, my Uber is here," I said, standing up.

"Do you need cash?" she asked, standing up to walk me to the door.

"No, I'm good," I answered.

"Have a good time," she said as I opened the door. "Don't be too late."

"Okay," I called out as I walked towards my Uber.

The ride to the pizza place was longer than expected but thankfully, my Uber driver was peaceful and quiet, he didn't disturb me and my music. Kyla, on the other hand, did.

"Hey, what's up?" I asked, answering her call.

"Is it true that you're coming to the Spring Fling?" she asked, sounding excited.

I sighed. "Only because Kian insisted."

"Yes," she squealed. "So does this mean you will be accompanying me for buying a dress?"

"Can't I just wear the dress I wore to the Valentine's ball?" I asked with a frown.

As soon as those words left my mouth, I felt a dull ache rise in my chest. All the faint memories smashed me like a ton of bricks. I remembered every detail about that night: our dinner, the dance, the poor girl who fell into the fountain and then, the comfortable conversation we had in the football field.