Chapter 1 - "Well, it's about time!"

Quick note! This first chapter is edited down from two chapters into one. So I just want to warn you it moves so fast you might get motion sickness. By the second chapter it settles! Enjoy and try it to throw up on your screen! 😄😄

***********************************

"Twenty minutes to stage."

Music raced down the hallway, joining with thundering footsteps, and spilled into the dressing room. Amelia's foot kept time, her drum sticks beating the rhythm on her leg.

"Amelia, do you have any more questions?" Todd, the lead guitarist, asked.

"I'm playing the interlude between Midnight Drive and Journey Through The Night, correct?" Amelia asked.

"Correct. I'll signal you. Anything else?"

"Nope. I got it."

"Thanks you so much again for stepping in. I can't tell you how lucky we are to have you," Todd said.

"It's no problem. I'm happy to do it."

Todd turned away, talking with the rest of the band.

"Nervous?" Poppy asked.

Poppy usually looked perfect, but even more so for the concert. Her flawlessly styled light brown hair fell over her dark shoulders and her chocolate eyes were alight with excitement.

Amelia shrugged, nerves ricochetting through her body.

"No."

"Blimey! How are you not nervous?" Poppy said, her accent thicker with nerves, waving her hands about.

"I do this all the time," Amelia said. "Though instead of 200 people it's 20,000. Instead of a beer soaked venue it's Madison Square Garden. And instead of a no name Indie band, it's Sebastian Colfax. But you know. I got this."

Her words tumbled out.

"You're not nervous? Because I'm dying here," Poppy said.

Amelia gripped Poppy's thin shoulders.

"Pops! I get to play Madison Square Garden tonight! Of course I'm nervous!"

Poppy laughed.

"Right, of course. You tell Charlie yet?"

"Shoot! No."

Amelia stood, pulling her phone from her pocket. She paced, drumsticks keeping time on her leg.

"Aims, correct me if I'm wrong, which I should remind you is a thing that I never am, but aren't you suppose to be in the middle of a concert?" Charlie answered. "Cringing as thousands of teenage girls scream and weep over some singer or other."

Amelia shook her head, smiling.

"You are correct," Amelia said, "but there's been a change of plans."

"Enlighten me."

"I am going to be playing the drums for said concert."

The line went silent.

"Sorry Aims, it sounded like you just said that you would be playing the drums for Sebastian Colfax's concert," Charlie said.

"That is correct."

There was a pause. Amelia could picture Charlie's stunned face.

"Well it's about time!" he said.

Amelia laughed.

"Not that I'm shocked," he said. "I've known you were the best drummer in New York since you nearly deafened me at age 4."