Chapter 6 - "Your parents must be really proud."

Between classes, tutoring, working with Sebastian, and Poppy's constant commentary on Olive and how she believed Olive was using Sebastian for his fame, Amelia found November was quickly eaten away. Sebastian continued to show up for tutoring, causing the music wing to become a popular hang out spot  for the two hours Amelia tutored.

To Amelia's annoyance, her connection with Sebastian learning the drums made everyone's attention fall on her. She found the best solution was to play dumb and ignore nosey questions. It was a relief when Thanksgiving break came around and she knew she wouldn't have to deal with intruding questions for at least four days.

********

The airport crackled with the sound of hurried footsteps, rolling suitcases and urgent chatter. Amelia sat at a small table, her book face down before her. She watched as people ran to catch flights, people ran to catch cabs and parents ran to catch kids. Charlie was passed out across three seats at their gate, his glasses sitting on the edge of his nose.

Amelia finished off the last of her tea and stood, sliding her book back into her satchel. As she moved through the horde of travelers to her gate, a familiar face crossed before her and she paused. A second later Jones passed by.

"Sebastian?"

Sebastian froze. Jones moved instinctively to his side, looking back. Amelia met his gaze and waved.  Jones whispered to Sebastian and he turned back towards her, shoulders relaxing. He wore a pair of ugly, old fashioned glasses, a worn baseball hat and ragged clothes.

"Hi?" Amelia said.

"Amelia. I didn't expect to see you here," Sebastian said, his tone formal.

"I'm heading to London."

Confusion flashed across his features.

"I'm from Hartford Connecticut, but my grandparents live in London."

"Your parents meeting you there?"

Amelia paused for a moment.

"No, my parents passed away."

There was a slight pause.

"I'm sorry to hear that," Sebastian said.

"Thanks. It was six years ago. What about you? Where you headed?" Amelia asked, forcing the conversation on.

Sebastian hesitated.

"Paris."

"Olive should be excited."

"Actually she is spending Thanksgiving with her parents," he said, his voice controlled.

"Why Paris then?"

Sebastian shifted.

"A surprise for my family. I'm heading out to meet them there."

"Your parents must be really proud."

The muscle in Sebastian's jaw flexed.

"My whole family has been extremely supportive."

A storm of emotions darted through his eyes, but disappeared before Amelia could read them. A figure appeared by Amelia's side. She turned to face the unsteady form of Charlie. His glasses were off and he was rubbing his face with the palm of his hand.

"Hey Aims, we're boarding soon. Whose this?" Charlie asked.

He slid his glasses back on and stared at Sebastian, recognition dawning in his eyes.

"Sebastian Colfax."

Sebastian offered his hand.

"Charles Dawson. It's a pleasure to meet you," Charlie said, shaking his hand.