Chapter 13 - "He still has a girlfriend."

A sharp rapping of knuckles sounded against Amelia's door the next morning. She murmured a bleary enter. Will stepped inside, and leaned against the closed door, arms crossed. Amelia pushed herself into a sitting position, her hair a disheveled mess around her head.

"Good morning dear William," she said.

"Good morning Amy," Will said, his words lacking a cheery tone.

"What's wrong?"

"There were two mugs on the coffee table when I woke up this morning. I know I wasn't part of that pair. You want to explain yourself to me?"

"I like to set out a second mug to feel I had company with me. That way I don't feel so alone."

Neither Will's expression or stance changed in the slightest.

"And the second arm chair, you pulled up to the window?" Will said, his voice hard.

Amelia threw up her hands.

"What do you want me to say Will? I got up in the middle of the night for some tea. Sebastian joined me. We talked. After an hour I went back to sleep. Alone!" Amelia said, glaring at him.

Will's face softened. He moved to sit on the edge of her bed.

"Amy, I just want you to be careful. He still has a girlfriend," he said.

Amelia didn't miss the implication of the word 'still'. After the night before, they both wondered how long that would be.

"Will, you know me. I'm not stupid and I'm not some love sick fan girl so don't make me out to be one."

"I'm sorry, Amy. I just don't want you to get hurt."

"He has a girlfriend and I don't like him. It was one pot of tea Will. You're acting like I spent the whole night talking to him," Amelia said, annoyed at Will's serious look.

Will looked at her for a long moment before sighing.

"You just wouldn't be the first girl to fall for him," he said.

"Well I haven't. I'm not an idiot. I knew who he was when I took this job. I've never let myself think about as anything other than my employer. You can calm down. I'm not going to risk what is the best opportunity of my life for some foolish fancy," Amelia said, shoving him off the bed.

Will jumped to his feet laughing.

"Good, just checking you had your head screwed on straight. Come on, let's get breakfast," he said, pulling her from the bed.

She tugged on her hoody and followed him out of the room, his arm slung over her shoulders. Sebastian was in the kitchen. He looked up as they walked in.

"Good morning. I hope you slept well," he said.

"I did, thanks. Can I help with anything?" Amelia asked.

"Sure, grab a bowl and crack two eggs into it," he directed.

The kitchen fell into a bustling silence as they all did their respective jobs.

"Did Will try to cook this morning?" Amelia asked, as they cooked.

A small smile tugged at the corners of Sebastian's mouth.

"What makes you ask that?" he asked.

"I woke up to the distinctive smell of something burning," Amelia said.

She turned to look at Will.

"I burned the toast," he muttered.

"Don't worry dear William, it's an easy mistake anyone could make," Amelia said.