n i n e: ✔

Nine:

Nine:

I started to hate the party as soon as I got out of the cab.

Empty bottles of beer were strewn across the lawn. Loud music echoed throughout the whole dim lit street. Carly Duncan's two story house was bathed in the moonlight, the warm light emerging from the windows making them look like two giant eyes.

A knot formed in my stomach. "I can't believe you talked me into coming here." I heaved a small sigh and glanced at Chloe walking beside me.

She sketched a smirk. Her caramel long hair swept across her short dress. Her smokey eyes and bright red lips looked more prominent in the light of the full moon.

"You should be thanking me, Bree. You're basically doing what every girl in those teen fictions of yours from Wattpad does at some point. Partying. Maybe you'll even meet your bad boy tonight, eh?"

My eyes did their involuntary roll. "Don't cliché-speak to me, okay? Those are just books. This is reality. And even though I happen to know a certain so called 'bad boy', that doesn't mean he's my Prince Charming. And I can tell you that he certainly isn't."

Chloe chuckled as her heels crunched from stepping on a stick. "You're so pessimistic. Just give yourself a chance to have fun. That's all I'm asking."

I let the silence fall between the two of us as we walked the steps on the front porch.

The music filled our eardrums with probably one hundred decibels of noise, but I was too zoned out into my own thoughts to mind the music coming from inside.

The noise, however, hit my ears as soon as Chloe and I entered Carly's house. The pulse in my veins accelerated instantly.

The living room was decorated with groups of teenagers swinging to the rhythms of the song, each of them holding a red cup with transparent liquid. Everything was dim lit, the only source of illumination coming from the small lightbulbs on the walls and the few improvised disco lights.

There were also a few heart shaped cardboards hanging from the ceiling as Valentine's day decorations, suggesting the theme of the party.

My eyes scanned the mobs of teenagers. I recognized a few classmates, more people from school which I didn't have classes with, but mostly there were friends of friends.

I didn't yet see Carly - nor Michael, for that matter. Not that I cared.

Too much.

I turned towards Chloe expectantly. "Okay, now what?"

Her gaze darted through the people dancing before her. "I'm going to go find Carly," she shouted over the music.

I frowned. "Um, alright. But what - "

"I'll see you later, okay?" she said abruptly. "Go have fun. Carpe Diem. Enjoy the moment."

Chloe patted my shoulder, spilling out random encouraging words that didn't sound so encouraging to me.