t w e n t y s e v e n: ✔

A/N: I'm so sorry for missing the Friday update, I had a lot of studying to do these days, and I didn't have time to write.

Well, it's better late than never, right?

Enjoy this update!

______

Twenty seven:

I reluctantly made my way inside the Sweet Sundae.

My heart thudded inside my chest as I slowly headed towards Michael and Marie's table.

I tried my best to avert my eyes from the image of Marie Elizabeth's arm pressed on Michael's shoulder. Or from the way-too-close gap between them. Or from her lips curving into a large smile as she watched him talk.

My steps creaked onto the hardwood floor as I got closer to their separate booth.

I could feel the pain cautiously unravelling inside me... The green eyed monster slowly coming to life, sharpening its claws before ripping my heart to shreds.

I bit my lip and readjusted the bag strap on my shoulder.

I watched Marie's smile grow onto her face, only to suddenly come to a vanishing point. Her smile died as Michael kept talking, her eyes growing wide with utter shock.

I was almost to their table now. I could only see their backs and a little bit of their profiles from where I was standing, but I could make out snippets of their conversation.

My feet instantly stopped into their tracks.

"Wow... O-okay," Marie eventually said, her eyes stuck to her lap. "I g-guess I'll just leave now." Her lips shook as she spoke. She reluctantly lifted her eyes back to Michael, her gaze lingering to him as she stood up from her seat.

I swallowed, my palms growing with sweat in anticipation of what would come next.

Marie turned around in her heels and started walking in my direction.

Her eyes caught mine, and her expression darkened almost instantly.

"Hey," I deadpaned, my voice as calm as possible.

She dropped her eyes to the ground in response, leaving me no time to catch her expression, and shoved my shoulder as she walked past me.

I watched her leave the room in quick motion, shutting the door behind her.

I let out a small sigh.

I didn't think I'd ever seen Marie like this before.

I could only wonder what Michael might have told her to make her this upset. For all I knew, it could be anything.

I reached the booth. My eyes trailed towards Michael, who didn't even seem to have noticed me coming.

His back was pressed against the chair, his gaze lowered to his lap as he tugged on the hem of his shirt absent-mindedly.

I licked my lips and cleared my throat. "Hi."

Michael flinched in his spot, his eyes darting in my direction. His face broke into a smile, the small frown on his face disappearing. "Oh, hey, Bree!"

"Hey... What was Marie Elizabeth doing here?" I demanded.

"Oh..." Michael frowned, as if he'd completely forgotten about her presence from two minutes before. "She - she..." he began, the frown deepening onto his face, but changed his mind midsentece. "It was nothing important, really."