Chapter Eight

Wonderful cover done by: MJ_reads123

Chapter Eight

Aside from art, today has been a pretty decent day. The coffee Mr. Duncan got me has kept me on a caffeine rush. It's been just enough to keep me going, and when it started to wear off, I got a soda and it's been doing its job.

"I think that light at the dock across the lake represents Gatsby's hopes and dreams for his future." Noah suggests, flipping through his book.

Mrs. Hughes decided not to really do any lectures in front of the class and gave us the whole time to work on our projects.

I purse my lips and move them to the side as I ponder his suggestion. "But doesn't he already have like all he needs? He's rich and popular."

Noah chuckles and glances at me. His eyes peek over his book and crinkle the sides. "The whole book is partly based on him wanting Daisy and how he doesn't have everything he needs."

My cheeks heat up and I look away. "Right."

"Not to mention the fact no one even showed up to his funeral. That right there means he wasn't as popular as once thought." He shrugs, giving up his futile search to find the 'golden line.'

"The parties prove he was popular though. The funeral just means he wasn't as well liked as once thought." I retaliate. "You don't have to be liked to be popular."

He thinks over what I said with a look of concentration and nods, weighing the options. "That makes sense. We should write that."

I smile and quickly scribble it down onto our half empty paper. The extra words make it look more filled out, which will definitely look good when Mrs. Hughes walks around. As I finish writing it, some girls come over to our table and start talking to Noah. They smile at me, but I politely stay out of the conversation.

That's just how Noah is. He's not really popular persay, but he is definitely well liked. Every time I talk to him someone else steals his attention for a few minutes.

It doesn't bother me, because I've always known that Noah is widely liked. But the fact he's so close with so many people makes you doubt your relationship with him; it makes you question if you're really as close or as valuable to him as you think. He has so many close friends, sometimes you just don't know if you're actually one of them.

The bell rings and startles me from my thoughts on the boy sitting next to me. I blink a few times to come to, and I pack my things up as the two girls walk away.

Noah instantly smiles apologetically at me. "I'm sorry Reagan, I didn't mean to ignore you like that."

I wave it off, "Don't worry about it, Noah. We were pretty much done for today anyways."

He nods and starts to pack his own things up. He places the Great Gatsby book into his backpack with gentle ease, and I notice his folders are placed in with the same care. Everything in his bag has its rightful place, and he's sure to keep it that way.

"You know, I always knew you were really smart. I'm glad we're partners." He smiles at me as he zips shut his overly-organized bag.

I send him a smile as I put my backpack on. "Thank you, I'm glad we're partners too."

He follows me out of the classroom and walks with me down the hallway as we talk a little bit more about the project. A few lockers down I see Logan and Chloe walking together and I raise my hand to get their attention. They catch the action, as do some random people who give me odd looks.