Act 5, Epilogue

Act 5

Setting: Palace

THESEUS, HIPPOLYTA, PHILOSTRATE Enter

HIPPOLYTA:                       These lovers are saying some strange things.

THESEUS:                            Yes, they are talking about these fairy tales. I just can’t believe it.

HIPPOLYTA:                       But the story that they are telling, it’s solid and consistent. And the fact that they all saw and heard exactly the same things, make me think that somehow, they might be true.

LYSANDER, HERMIA, DEMETRIUS, and HELENA Enter

THESEUS:                            Oh, here they come, laughing happily.

                                                (To Philostrate) Now what kind of entertainment do we have Philostrate?

PHILOSTRATE: There’s these play by the workmen from Athens.

THESEUS:                            Okay, okay, tell them to get started now. I’d love to watch this one.

PHILOSTRATE Exit

QUINCE Enter

QUINCE:                               Good evening to all. Our play’s entitled “A Very Tragic Comedy about the Horrible Death of Pyramus and Thisbe”. Ladies and Gentlemen, at this point, we’re going to start our play now.

SNOUT as WALL Enter followed by BOTTOM as PYRAMUS

PYRAMUS:                          Oh, night! Oh, night! I’m afraid that my Thisbe has forgotten her promise!

                                                (To WALL) Oh Wall. Show me your hole to stick my eye up against!

(WALL Holds up two fingers)

Thank you, you’re such a polite Wall.

FLUTE as Thisbe Enter