24

* this story is not mine *

My mother had a recurring dream, every night for a period of about a month. In the dream, there were three plain wooden coffins in a row. The lids were all closed, and for the entire dream she just stood in the room, staring at the row of them.

Then, her father died. She had the dream again that night, but he was in the first coffin, the lid now propped up on the side. The other two coffins remained closed. Again, she just stood there, now staring at her father in the coffin. She continued having the dream every night, this time with my grandfather in the coffin furthest to the right.

A week later, a family friend of hers died. When she dreamt that night, not only was her father in the first coffin, but the man her family had been close to was now in the middle coffin. The dreams continued for two more weeks. Then, her sister's husband passed away. On the night of his death, the dream returned. This time with my grandfather in the first coffin, my mother's family friend in the middle coffin, and now her sister's husband in the final coffin.

The strange thing is these men were all neighbours. If you came down the road they lived on, my grandfather's house was first, then my mom's old friend lived right next door to him, and the last house on the street belonged to my aunt and her husband. The night my mother-in-law died was the last night she had that dream.