Chapter 19 ~ Plan In Action

Penny’s P.O.V

I was sat on the back porch with a glass of orange and ice in hand, staring off into the woods thinking about the search parties that were out in this weather. The day was hot, probably the hottest day of the year so far and they were out there searching in wolf form, no doubt exhausted from the heat. The sun was high in the sky, directly above me radiating its heat in waves. The position of the sun told me that it was around noon which meant I’d better go and help out the other females with lunch. I quickly gulped down my drink and immediately felt the liquid cool my insides, so refreshing.

I walked into the kitchen to see lunch was already being prepared. The meal was pretty basic consisting of sandwich’s filled with ham, cheese, tomatoes, lettuce basically every filling you could think of. There were also crisps in bowels, different fruits and salad bowls.  It looked like it would be grab what you want and go.

I joined Victoria over the other side of the kitchen and helped her prepare the last remaining sandwiches. Victoria is the packs best cook.

“Would you like a hand finishing up?” I asked.

She smiled showing me her teeth. “That would be lovely.” We settled into a comfortable silence concentrating on the task at hand.

Out of the corner of my eye I saw Victoria look over at me a few times opening her mouth but then closed it. “You can ask me anything you know.” I smiled softly at her.

“Oh I know Penny.” She replied quickly as if she had offended me in some way. “I was just going to ask if you’ve heard anything yet.”

I knew what she was talking about, she was wondering if the search parties have found a location on Cameron and Jay but sadly I haven’t heard anything from them since the left in the early hours this morning.

“I haven’t heard anything yet.” I sighed buttering a piece of bread. “But no news is good news.”

“I suppose you are right. Although, it has been a rather long time and I’m starting to worry a little bit. It’s not just me, it’s the whole pack they are really worried about them both. I’m just hoping that we don’t hear that one of them is...” She trailed off.

Dead, I finished the sentence in my head. Everyone has prepared themselves for the worst case scenario but at the same time they have pushed the negative thoughts to the back of their minds, mainly focusing on the positive and that was that both Cameron and Jay will return home safe and sound.

The last of the sandwiches were placed on large, silver serving trays and taken into the dining room with the rest of the feast. The children were the first to grab something to eat and quickly scurried off to continue with their games. The adults however ate very little with being full of worry and concern. I managed to eat a sandwich and an apple but I didn’t have much of an appetite. Once everyone was don’t eating we left the remaining food (which was a lot!) and went about our own business. Some went off to do chores; others went to their rooms to have a nap, to read or to watch TV. We all found different ways to keep ourselves busy. I on the other hand didn’t have a way to distract my thoughts. I was constantly in them, thinking everything over and over. I have also taken up full residents on the back porch looking into the forest. It was peaceful apart from the occasionally visits from the children but they mainly played inside now.

Almost the entire pack left at around six this morning to search our territory but there was still no news and it has gone one in the afternoon.

“They’re taking an awful long time.” I spoke to my wolf.

“They will be incredibly thorough with the leads that they find. They won’t want to put Jay or Cameron in unnecessary danger.” My wolf reassured me. “I hope they aren’t much longer.”