Vengeance on the Sand People

When I next escaped I was on Tattooine. My old home. I'd be lying if I said I missed it--except perhaps this one small patch of ground where I found myself. I was deep in the desert, in the hollow of a bowl of rock where there is shelter from the wind and sandstorms. Tattered remains of a settlement of sand people surrounded us. Luke was present. How good it was to see my son again.

"Is this where it happened, Father?" Luke said.

He scanned the ground. I felt the power of the Force radiate from him as he searched his feelings. I knew he'd find nothing. The desert is too good at erasing even the residue left by the Force.

"It is the place where I slew the sand people," I said.

"Can you give me the real story? Why you did it?"

There was hope in his voice. Then I realized why the Jedi brought me here. Luke thought I might have some explanation for what I'd done, something to prove I intended good. I laughed. This would be my chance to turn him from the Dark Side. It would be all too easy.

Suddenly, the chains of energy snapped over my wrists and held me fast to the ground. I gasped as they tore at my spiritual essence, but I fought them. Eventually, I was able to speak.

"The real story--" I clenched my teeth against the pain. "All right. Clegg Lars contacted me when Shmi died, told me what had happened. I hated Lars because he worked for the Trade Federation, and he knew it--but I left him alone for Shmi's sake."

I was rendered speechless by torment for a few seconds, then I continued.

"Tuscan raiders took her, tore her apart. I never saw her alive as I did in your histories, never had that touching moment where she told me she was proud of me--much as I wish it were so. Clegg showed me what remained of her and said, 'Kill me if you want to for failing to protect her, but make sure they pay as well.'"

Luke rubbed his forehead. "I got that story from Lars. It--it felt true."

"He told you a comforting lie. Search your feelings more deeply. Look past what you want to believe."

The chains twisted me, but it was Luke who grimaced as if in pain.

"I considered taking him at his word, but by risking his life to gain vengeance for Shmi, he earned my respect. Padmé and I set off at once to track the sand people down."

"Mother?" Luke asked. "She went with you?" Yoda and Obi-Wan's eyes went round.

"Yes. She was good with a sensor and finding caves hidden in the rock. She'd become proficient at recognizing such places during the rebellion on Naboo. Together we brought down this settlement and two others. In each, we left one able-bodied sand person alive and sent him away with a warning."

"Mother helped you?" Luke's voice was pitched as high as it was when I first told him I was his father. "And three settlements? I thought it was one."

I smiled, even as the torturous chains tore at my arms. "It was then that she first told me she loved me."

Luke shook his head. "Didn't you have some good motive, like when you rescued the younglings from the Emperor?"

"I simply wanted to kill them, my son. And Padmé wanted a man who took justice and vengeance to heart; one who was bold in destruction and swift with a light saber--all the things her father had failed to be. She needed strength. Naboo needed a warrior, and when she saw my power and the murder in my heart, she knew I could help her save her people."

I spoke with feeling. Indeed, the memory of that night was powerful--kissing her in the desert, the bodies of our enemies strewn everywhere, blood drying to red ash in the furious winds--It was intoxicating.

"No," Luke said again. He stared at me, pain evident on his face.

"I'm sorry, my son, but this is who we were. Murderous. Vengeful. This is why you must not turn to the Dark Side."

And with that, they let me go. It was with a warm feeling that I re-entered my spiritual prison. Luke is safe, I thought.