Epilogue: Balance, and the Prophecy

The belly of the dead sarlacc was different, the dark presence in the Force which bound it was no longer palpable. Luke was sitting in a chair, and Leia was by his side holding a cup of water. Han stood beside her.

"You should get that hyperdrive fixed, Han. I mean, the way it kept failing was charming when we first met, but it nearly prevented me from getting to my brother in time."

"Yes, your worship," he said, rolling his eyes.

Luke's histories did get some things right.

"Leia," I called out to her.

"Father," she said. Then swallowed. Her eyes became round and glittery. "Mother."

Luke glanced up as well, a grin spread across his scarred face.

Han looked around, obviously confused and annoyed. "What?" he said.

Of course, Han cannot use the Force.

"My friends," I said, turning my attention to those who pledged themselves to help me. "You have given me victory, and so I now give you freedom."

I felt power go out from me, a great dark rushing.

"I wish to stay," said the Gungan boss.

"Waargh," the wookie chieftain agreed.

"Wisdom you have achieved, Lord Vader," Yoda said, looking at me with respect.

I shrugged. It felt odd to hear his praise.

"Learn from you and Padmé, perhaps all of us can," Yoda said. "If a new Jedi temple we found, serve as masters will the two of you?"

This sentence was more convoluted than usual. I think he was asking if Padmé and I wanted to found a Jedi temple, to serve as its head masters. I was--well--more than a little surprised.

"It is the teaching of the Sith that I follow," I said.

The Emperor made a horrible sputtering disturbance in the Force. All of us turned our attention toward him.

"Using love to obtain power? Setting people free when you've achieved your purpose? You call that Sith teaching?"

"It is, from a certain point of view," I said.

And it is. Passion is power. Power is supposed to make us free.

"We agree," Padmé said, her spirit overshadowing mine. "That love is a dangerous emotion." A tingling euphoria passed through my being at the nearness of her. It was a rare experience for me at the time. I now believe it to be joy.

I laughed because I was happy, and because the suggestion of me training anyone felt so utterly ridiculous.

"What should we do?" I said in jest. "Found a temple where Jedi and Sith train together?"

"Balance to the force, it would bring," Yoda said, his face serious. "Yes, and the prophecy you would fulfill."

#

Our new temple was built in Cloud City on Bespin. I wanted it to be in the belly of the dead Sarlacc. I liked the atmosphere of the place, but Leia and Padmé rejected the idea.

We have a maze set up on the planet's surface, trenches where womp rats run as the students flying X-Wings zoom in and try to hit them with proton torpedo's. The exercise was Luke's idea of course, but I approve. I enjoy it when one of those rodents goes pop.

Frequently, couples come to study at the temple. Some come to be married, others wed at the conclusion of their training. When the latter is the case, Padmé and I attend the ceremonies and extend our energies in benediction. It is something I never imagined I'd do, but it fulfills me in a way nothing else ever has.

Luke was right about me after all.

A/N: Thanks for reading! If you enjoyed this story, consider reading my other works, both on Wattpad and on Amazon.  I hope you'll especially consider my space opera, "Warriors of the Hollow World." Failing that, you can buy me a coffee: https://ko-fi.com/E1E7CESR Thanks!