12. a name

They knew it wouldn't be easy, locating what was left of the militia, and it would take time

They knew it wouldn't be easy, locating what was left of the militia, and it would take time. No matter how many times they interrogated the four men arrested in Portland, nobody was able to get a single word from them that could help the search. At the same time, Allen and a couple more were sent from Portland to Canada, to work with the local authorities and try to confirm if any of the fugitives had crossed the borders. Tanya, Kurt and Brandon worked on traffic cameras to try to locate the trucks that left the Northern Woods along with Balken's.

In the meantime, it became sort of an awful habit. Every day, Aldana left earlier than the rest to go to the hospital and allow Russell's mother to go home and get some rest. She spent the nights there, sleeping in the visitor's bunk, and went home by breakfast time, when Russell's mother came back.

The hospital was included in everybody's way home, and the rest of the team visited Russell at least for a few minutes after leaving the office.

The doctors still kept him heavily sedated. They wanted his concussion to heal a little more before performing more tests and determine if there'd been brain damage, and what kind of damage.

Over the next week, the MRI only showed how the swelling receded, so doctors were optimistic about his chances to recover without any kind of physical consequences. Finally, they decided to let Russell wake up and withdrew the meds keeping him out. His nose was almost back to normal, so they expected him to be able to breathe without assistance. His internal lesions were already healed or just about to. His hands were still in casts, and they should stay like that at least for another month.

Gillian felt her knees falter when she arrived to the hospital and found him awake. Barely awake, lost in morphine. But his eyes were open and they even managed to focus on her for a moment. His mother rubbing her back didn't exactly help her to keep her cool. That night, she fell into a deep, restoring sleep as she hadn't had since what everybody already called "the Battle of the Hill"—weren't men just too over the top to name their deeds of arms.

On the following days, she found Russell more and more lucid. The time he welcomed her with a smile had her swallowing happy tears even after she left the hospital.

Finally, Gillian was able to convince Aldana to take one night off and go home to get some quality sleep.

"I'd kill for a burrito," he muttered with a resigned sigh, a longing gaze upon Gillian's takeout.

Talking with him again was so good, Gillian let out a soft laughter. "I'm afraid you're gonna be on IV and hospital food a while longer. But hey, that'll help you lose the few pounds marital life gave you lately."

Russell arched his eyebrows. "Knew you were jealous."

"Go figure."

"Promise we'll take over Boloco as soon as I'm outta here."

"Only if you stick to our Christmas barbeque this year."

"Of course. Why wouldn't we have it?"

"Because you're married now?"