15. red alert

**picture: people running from street shootings, Paris, November 13 2015

Gillian and Aldana saw the breaking news on their way out of the prison. They hurried to Gillian's car as Aldana called Tanya on speaker.

"A plane was just landed in Logan? What happened?"

"They're still questioning the passengers. Looks like a woman just snapped and tried to access the cockpit first, then tried to open an emergency exit."

"In the air?"

"Yep. The PD has it covered. They're also searching the plane for explosives or anything outta place. Reg, Cooper is expecting your call."

"Got it. Thanks, T."

Gillian took the I-95 southbound as she dialed Cooper. At her right, Aldana searched a map on her tablet. Cooper picked up right away.

"Akron, ma'am," Gillian said, eyes on the road. "That's all he knew."

"Akron, Ohio?" asked Cooper.

"Yes. They were supposed to spend only a couple of hours in Portland, and then head to Akron. One of the lieutenants owns a house there, where they planned to stay low until their trace went cold."

"Okay. I'll talk to the local police and send them what we have on them."

"Thanks, ma'am. Anyway, we're leaving for Akron tomorrow morning."

"No, you're not. Something else came up and I need your team here in town."

"You mean the plane with the crazy passenger?"

"That could be only the tip of the iceberg."

Cooper didn't have many different tones. She always sounded dry and annoyed. But Gillian had learned that this degree of dry-and-annoyed meant Cooper was worried about something. And it had to be serious to worry the Iron Lady.

"Oh. Wanna tell me more about it, ma'am?"

Cooper's pause gave her a bad feeling.

Aldana looked up when Gillian pulled over to pay more attention to her phone, a deepening frown furrowing her brow.

"We'll be there in two hours," said Gillian, and disconnected.

"What is it, Reg?" asked Aldana, concerned.

Gillian re-entered the road and stepped on the gas. She reached out to turn on the radio to a news station.

"Nothing yet, but nothing good either," she replied. "CT issued a memo."

"CT...? You mean Counter Terrorism?" Aldana sat up, concern becoming alarm. "Anything to do with what just happened at Logan?"

"They don't know. They got word that something big is about to go down, and now they narrowed it down to this weekend."

"Shit! And that's all they have?"

"They think ISIS, so it's not likely to happen here. I mean, not in the US. But you can never be sure with those wackos."

"Europe, then? They said they'd infiltrate the refugees to access Europe."

"Or North Africa. They attacked Yemen yesterday. Maybe they hit Turkey again, or Libya... That's my guess, anyway. But CT think they want to make the headlines worldwide this time. Then North Africa is outta the question—they attack there so often it hardly makes the news anymore, no matter how sick that is."

"So?"

"We're on alert as of now."

"Meaning?"

Gillian shook her head. "We wait for DC to tell us what to do."

"Really? That's all?"

Gillian just shrugged.

They heard the first confusing reports on the radio as they drove out of Bunker Hill bridge, five minutes away from the field office. It was November 13th, three-thirty p.m. in the East Coast and nobody seemed to know exactly what was going on, but Paris was under attack. Some talked about a bomb outside a stadium where the French President watched an international soccer game. Some talked about active shooters on the street at the Tenth District—an area full of cafés and restaurants, thirty minutes away from the stadium. It was eight-thirty p.m. of a Friday night in Paris and that part of the city was usually crowded.

They hurried to the elevators in a stressed silence. It had nothing to do with 9/11, but it felt a lot like that hideous morning all over anyway.

"Make sure T and Kurt are monitoring the web," said Gillian as they stepped out of the elevator at the fifth floor.

Helen saw her and waved at her to hurry to Cooper's office. The Iron Lady watched the news on her plasma, an ongoing video call on her computer screen. There was nobody at the other end of the call when Gillian came in, but she recognized the view through the window past the vacant desk: Washington DC.

"Ma'am?" she said, turning to Cooper.

"Nothing sure yet. Things are happening as we speak and nobody can tell exactly what or where. But it's all in Paris."

Gillian could relate to Cooper's frustration, so she said, "Come with me, ma'am. Let's see what we've got this far."