Chapter 16 - Lethal Servitude

Blood, death, decay and destruction—this is what the world had become despite Violina's efforts to save it. The world was brought to its knees, and now, its grave. Her soul wept at her failure. Why hadn't she seen it coming?

Or had she? Before she had even arrived in this era, impending doom was practically already beyond the point of no return. Not only did scum make up the entirety of the Separatists and the Resistance alike, but the earth itself was doomed. Toxicity, infertility and starvation had driven Eden to madness. Malachi said the vermin cling to the scraps of life at all costs, and he was right. In the face of scarcity, man killed one another, desecrated the corpses and stole the means of prolonging their still finite existence before the inevitable end. Greed was core to why the evils inherent to man manifested themselves in such horrific fashion.

With the weight on her spirit surpassing even that of her fatigue, Violina sat herself onto the blood and rust-stained concrete with her knees pulled to her chest. Lux took her lead and sat next to her. Neither spoke a word, only stared soberly at the fires and countless bodies drowned in blood—the rotting remnants of Eden. If ever a hell existed, this was it. Her mind raced through her conversation with Malachi over and over again. Kza had sent them to hell from the depths of the Pillar of God.

"Lux, do you remember when we were on The Dreadnaught and came across that map with one name?"

"The Pillar of God? Yes, why?"

"Malachi mentioned it."

"Malachi?" asked Lux, taken aback. "How in the world would he know anything about that?"

"I know, right? Whatever the Pillar of God was, history took no notice of it, yet Malachi said that Kza destroyed the world from there."

"You don't think he was referring to that thing we found those drawings of? That 'Conduit' super-weapon thing?"

Violina gave a sharp nod. "The contraption that made The Dreadnaught look like a child's toy? That's exactly what I think he was referring to."

"But what was it? I mean, he was defeated before he got to use it."

The pieces clicked together in Violina's mind to form a terrifying realization. "What if Kza was never actually defeated? What if the High Cleric lied to the people about killing him to feed his power and ego? What if the Second Sun that ascended that day was—"

"Kza's weapon?!" Lux burst out in horror.

"Exactly!" affirmed Violina. "Think about it! It explains everything! We last saw The Dreadnaught sailing into the Western Sea. Do you really think the High Cleric's Armada stood a chance at sinking it?"

"I don't know!" Lux looked absolutely panicked. "My mind is exploding. Not only does this throw everything I thought I knew about history into question, but even the divinity of the Second Sun! The very object worshiped for centuries was designed for nothing but the destruction of the worshipers!"