Chapter 23 - Rising Back Ten Thousand Fold

Determining that the A.R.C. was devoid of internal threats, Violina returned to the bridge. "Everything is secure," she reported.

"Perfect. Kza and Malachi are back on the cable cars and the outer fortifications appear to be neutralized." Noah spun in his chair to the main window of the bridge. "Looks like most of Kza's tanks are destroyed though, and the rest are being torn up by the Wardens as we speak."

Violina was surprised. "Then how are we going to invade?"

Cassandra smiled. "Oh, you have no idea what Kza's got prepared. The ones you saw were just to provide a distraction. He has a fleet of battleships, rocket launchers and hundreds of other tanks, all under his simultaneous control."

Noah steered the A.R.C. away from the City of Enoch and toward the mainland. "You see, despite such an army, this A.R.C. posed enough of a threat that Kza found it prudent to conceal his forces until the hijacking."

Violina was both thrilled and troubled at this information. While it sounded as though she would reach the Pillar of God quite soon, how would she take on an army like Kza's after the Second Sun was destroyed? She pondered the idea only briefly before coming to a solution. There was no need to confront it directly. She had gained Kza's trust and would be able to use that to her advantage.

They soon reached a vast forest far from the coast. "Initiating landing sequence!" called out Cassandra. The A.R.C. slowed to a hover and began its descent into a clearing.

"I suspect Kza will arrive back within an hour or two," said Noah. "I don't know what he has in mind for you, but you should probably wait on board for his return."

Violina knew she'd better get an idea of what her soon-to-be enemy's capabilities were. "Actually, I'd prefer to take a look around. His lab is nearby?"

"If you insist, and one of them is, yes. It's just west of here and down the hill." He spun back around to the dashboard then added, "I'll lower the ramp from the cargo bay."

Violina headed into the forest per Noah's directions and soon saw an onyx building half buried by the hillside, complete with a Mark of the Condemned engraved into the wall. But just as she was approaching it, a rift blasted open revealing the radiated wastelands of the far future and jolting Violina's nerves. A piece of the Second Sun must have been nearby? This rift, however, was different from all the others she had seen. While those had hung peacefully in midair, this one crackled with lightning, loud and violent.

Peering through the toxic winds and torched trees, she saw the mysterious onyx building with Kza's emblem she and Lux had investigated after cannoning it with the Taloc-Mech—the ruins of Kza's lab? If this realization was not overwhelming enough, nothing could have prepared her for what she beheld as she stepped through the portal. Lux and Violina's earlier gas masked self stood just next to their mechs, staring back at her in equal astonishment. Violina was simultaneously overloaded with utmost joy and confusion. The girl she had seen torn apart with her own eyes was standing before her alive and well!

Lux finally broke the silence. "Well, that's an interesting development." Her understatement confirmed she was definitely the real Lux, and even the mere sound of her voice brought happiness beyond words.

Evidently the rift had opened to the moment they were entering the ruined structure—just prior to boarding The Cordialnaught in the reservoir and escaping to the Dark Ages. Violina exerted serious effort to keep her composure. "I think I know—"

"Oh my goodness, you look and sound like Vexia!" beamed Lux. "That's so neat! I'm so jealous!"

Violina's earlier self took a step closer. "So, if you are me, and I've never looked like you, then I suppose that means you are me in the future, which would mean you just opened up a rift to an old version of you? Wow, that sounds confusing."