Chapter 24 - The Second Fall of Man

Violina and Lux climbed a nearby hill to survey their legion of duplicates. The roars of five hundred Taloc-Mech engines echoed through the forest with ludicrous power—enough to drain the blood of any onlooker's face.

"So, what are Kza and Malachi going to think when they see all this?" wondered Lux aloud.

Violina smiled. "They'll have a healthy dose of fear I'd think. I'm sure they're glad to know we're on their side, for now." With Lux back at her side and an army powerful enough to bring the world into submission, Violina could hardly contain her joy.

The girls didn't need to wait long before they spotted Kza entering their side of the forest. Despite his distance, Violina could sense his bewilderment with clarity. The duplicates stood by while Violina and Lux approached him.

"Looks like you've been busy," said Kza in the sort of understatement one would expect from Lux. But was there really an appropriate thing to say when met with such a force that arrived out of thin air?

"Yes, you could say that," replied Violina, enjoying the stare of disbelief on his face. "Shall we conquer ourselves a city?"

Kza looked at Lux, then across the army of duplicates, then back to Violina. "Who are you, Violina?" He didn't appear fearful, but intrigued. "Two days ago no one even knew you existed. Today you raise the dead and yourself hundreds of times over and arm them with war machines foreign to even me."

"I know, right? Isn't she great?" interjected Lux as if she were trying to set the two of them up together.

Violina wasn't sure how to respond. "All you need to know is that our goals are the same."

Kza exhibited a mix of disappointment and amusement. "Very well then. Who am I to argue with the godlike?"

Violina couldn't believe that her life had arrived at such a point. The very man who would go down in history as the most ruthless and brilliant thaumaturgist known to humanity was humbled by the girl who just weeks earlier had been a mere hunter. How far would she yet ascend?

"So about our plans to kill Enoch and reach the false god—" Violina began.

Kza's eyes lit up. "And what a fascinating mechanical god it is."

"You've seen it?" asked Violina.

"Not exactly. Only Enoch, Vexia and Malachi are permitted to enter the Pillar of God, but over the years I've learned much about its origins. In fact, that's why Enoch condemned me in the first place." Kza held out his hand displaying the mark.

Violina had difficulty suppressing her curiosity. "So what do you know about it?"

"Enough to know that I don't want Enoch anywhere near it. It may be a false god, but it's a powerful one nonetheless. I've collected some artifacts that I believe are connected with it and stashed them in my lab. I have my theories, but until I get an opportunity to examine it more closely at the foundation of the Pillar of God, they will remain theories."

Violina wondered how these theories of his would play into the final destruction of the world in the far future, but decided to withhold her questions for the sake of maintaining his trust.

Kza stepped past the girls to get a better look at Violina's army. "Now then, onto more pressing matters. With Enoch's A.R.C. commandeered and a good portion of the outermost defenses destroyed, now is primetime for the invasion."

"That harpoon Noah used in the artillery cannon... Can you modify any of the weapons on the A.R.C. in similar fashion?" asked Violina.

Kza smiled as if he knew exactly what Violina had in mind. "Not only that, but you'll be pleased to know the cable harness accelerators are strong enough to carry your war machines without difficulty. In fact, such harpoons have already been equipped to my naval carriers to lift my tanks into the city."