Drake Black - Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen

On the plane, Karla had calmed down. She felt better knowing that she was going to see Audrey, but she couldn't seem to take her eyes off of Tate, who was also staring at her with amusement. That had her frowning. "If you wish to say something, say it." He said, not the least bit offended by her staring.

"You're a.....werewolf, aren't you?" Karla asked, knowing that she needed to be sure. She hadn't been able to see and therefore she was only guessing.

Tate nodded, "I am. But, I'm not like the ones you've met. I have no problems with the vampires or the like. I only wish to end this war."

Karla didn't know what he was talking about, but he sounded sincere to her. "Okay.." She muttered, unsure of what else she could possibly say to the man. Turning, she looked at Drake who was glaring at Tate. Her eyes widened, "are you okay?"

Drake didn't like the way Tate was staring at his mate, but he couldn't do more than glare until he explained to Karla who she was to him. "I'm fine, just can't wait to be home." He hadn't meant to sound so harsh, but it was taking every bit of control not to stand up and demolish the smile from Tate's face.

Karla frowned, he didn't sound alright. The thought of what would happen when they reached Drake's home entered her mind. Would he go back to his normal routine? Would she ever see him again? Hell, she didn't know if she would even live through this, she was human while everyone around her was something out of a supernatural novel.

The thought was still almost too much to accept, but she'd seen too many things with her own eyes to play stupid. "I think I'm going to close my eyes for a little bit..." Her body still ached and her head felt as if it was about to explode. She propped herself up against the side of the plane and closed her eyes. No sooner did she take a relaxing breath did sleep take her.

Drake waited until he was sure Karla had fallen asleep before he spoke. "You will stop smiling at her like that."

Tate raised a brow, a smile curving his lips. "In what way is that Drake? I can't help myself, it is amusing to watch. Congratulations, by the way, for finding your mate." Tate knew exactly what Drake was getting at and he knew from watching his friends that it wasn't uncommon for males to express possessiveness when an unmated male was near.

Drake's eyes widened, "you knew she was my mate? Then why..?"

"To find some sort of entertainment. The trip is long and boring and it was very evident to me that you two haven't spoken of the mating. She is clueless about her impact on you or her place. I was riling you up for simply that." Tate admitted.

"You are either very stupid or very brave. Even though you helped us back in the woods, I wouldn't have had the slightest problem killing you." Drake said with a chuckle.

"I don't doubt that for a minute. Finding a mate is like shocking the system. I also hear that it leaves you incapable of thinking with your brain and more with your.."

Drake held his hand up, not needing further explanation of what Tate was getting at and while he disagreed to a certain extent he had to also agree. He had imagined Karla naked and under him in more thoughts than the rest. He would never act on his fantasies, not until she understood the full meaning. Drake leaned back, "I'm going to rest myself.." Closing his eyes, he ignored the chuckles coming from Tate and concentrated on sleep.

When Karla woke, she noticed that her shoulder had become numb and frowned. Turning, she wasn't terribly surprised to see Drake fast asleep and leaning on her. She could feel herself softening as she looked over his face, noticing the circles under his eyes. He had to be tired, he'd had little sleep since she'd met him and he needed the rest. Looking away from his perfect face, her eyes widened when she saw Tate staring at her.

"What? Do I have something on my face?" Karla reached with her free hand to rub her face, frowning as Tate shook his head.

"You don't have anything on your face, but it was the expression you displayed. Does he know that you care for him?"

Karla could feel her face flame up and look away. "Of course I care. He saved my life..."

A tsk brought her attention back to Tate who was shaking his head. "No, you are much deeper than a sense of gratitude. If I didn't know any better I would say that if you weren't in love with him, you soon will be."

Karla stiffened, feeling defensive. "Have you ever been in love?" When Tate shook his head, she snapped, "then please don't assume to know how I feel or what I may feel." She knew she'd sounded like a complete and utter bitch, but nothing good came from love. Only pain. She wouldn't put herself through that again. She cared for Drake, she respected and trusted him, but she would never love him. She couldn't.