Chapter 10: "Daymares"

ARI

"Imagine yourself running through the woods, and someone is chasing after you."

I closed my eyes shut as I tried to imagine the ridiculous scenario my mother came up with.

"Now imagine tripping and then breaking your right leg in the process."

In the scenario, I held my broken leg, jumping up onto my good leg and looking back at the guy chasing me.

I felt my heart rate speed up as I stood in the backyard, listening to my mother.

"Now, since your leg is broken, you want to use your arms, your hands, your claws. Imagine your nails becoming longer."

I felt the familiar pinprick feeling in my nails as they grew longer, sharper.

"Good, now the guy is slowly approaching you."

I stood my ground, waiting for the guy to show himself so I could claw his face off.

As the guy inched closer, I grew more afraid.

Something shiny hit my face, blinding my eyes for a second.

I closed my eyes and then opened them to witness a gun in his hand.

I backed away, suddenly scared for my life.

Sweat gathered at my forehead and I trembled in fear.

Every step I took back, he took one forward until he was standing right in front of me.

I felt the cold tip of his gun resting on my head. I was continuing to step back when I fell over a branch.

I laid on my back as I watched the man, staring at me with hate.

I tried to get up but I couldn't feel my legs.

I cried out for someone to hear me but no one was there.

That is until I saw a mans body run past me towards the gun.

I cried for the man to stop but he didn't listen he just kept running with so much hate and determination.

I screamed when I heard the loud shot.

"SHAWN!" I cried for the man who was dead on the floor.

A searing pain burned into my hand, snapping me back to reality. My eyes shot open and I breathed in my mother's familiar scent.

The necklace I was gripping in my hand flew across the yard.

My mom gripped my shoulders, shaking me. "Ari! Ariana! Oh god, not again!"

"Mom! He shot him!" I cried out in pain. I held my chest, feeling my heart crushing with agony.

"Shot who?!" My mothers concerned voice floated to my ears and I blinked in confusion.

"Mom?" I asked, finally out of the state I was in.

"Honey! What's wrong? Please, talk to me!"

"I d-don't know. It felt so real." I stood up half expecting my legs to buckle underneath me.

I looked at my palm, feeling the dull ache the necklace left.