Mistaken

Abby's POV

He shoved me away, pulling me off of him before I could even blink my eyes.

Confusion soon engulfed my thoughts. What's happening? Why doesn't he recognize me?

Zach pulled me to his side, blocking my vision from Dave.

"I'm terribly sorry Dave, my assistant has been very stressed lately. She might have mistaken you for someone else" He said, giving me a sideways glare. I opened my mouth to speak but he beat me to it.

"Abby, what the hell is going on with you?" He whispered, more like yelled. I pleaded him with my eyes, telling him something that he could understand through eye contact.

He took my hand. "Could you give us a minute Dave?" And with a curt nod from him, he pulled me away and took me to a far distance from Dave.

"Please, you have to listen to me, he's the guy I'm talking about you have to-"

"Listen, Abby" He sighed, putting a hand over his forehead, frustrated.

He looked at me in hesitation before speaking. " The man you're talking about is gone. I'm sorry to tell you this but he's been dead for three years"

"He's not, Zach. He's alive and breathing, standing in the same room with me." My breathing became heavy. Suddenly furious at Zach, does he think I'm crazy?

He gripped onto my shoulders, forcing me to look up on him. "Abby stop, you have to listen to me, he's not him, he just has the same name as him. " He said, his voice dripping with anger.

I shoved his hands away, glaring at him. He sighed in frustration, running a hand through his hair. " Look, I know this sounds ridiculous but I need you to go to your office and stay there until Dave leaves"

"What?" I snapped, glaring at him. Was he embarassed of me?

He reached out for my hand, but me pulling it away. "Abby please, you know how much this buyer means to me--It will benefit us and the board"

I stopped. Shit, I forgot about that. Do I really want Thea to get fired?

I lowered my head down, suddenly ashamed. "I'm sorry." Muttering before turning to leave.

I took one last look at Dave. He was staring at me, his eyes gleaming with interest. Interest with what, with me?

The elevator doors started to close as I see the smallest of a smirk forming on his face.

*****

Zach's POV

She turned and walked away, leaving me nervous and shaking at the same time.

I turned back to Dave, observing him as he watched Abby leave the lobby. His face clearly showed interest in her. Why was he looking like that? Did he really know her?

I came in closer to him, walking to a respectable distance as I cleared my throat. He snapped out of his daze and raised his eyebrows at me.

I swallowed. "My apologies, Abby has been very stressed lately. I would tend to her later after you leave."

He raised an eyebrow. I didn't know if he was irritated or amused by the confusing look on his face.

He turned to me, coldly. "I see, well in that case I decline your offer."

I gaped. "Pardon me?" Is he insane? We havent even discuseed the terms yet.

"I don't like repeating myself, Zach" He said, checking his watch.

"But we haven't even discussed the terms yet, why would you decline it?"

He stepped forward, towering over me, challenging my authority. What did he think of me, a coward who's afraid of him? He may be powerful but I have my dignity.

"You don't handle your employees very well Zach, I don't like to be partners with someone who can't even do a simple task to fix that" He said, looking down on me. My patience slowly fading away as anger slowly eated me inside.

And then suddenly, he smirked. The smug facade on his face made my hand twitch. Did he think this was a joke? Does he want my fist to land on his smug face?

"Give me the girl and I'll sign the contract. No more discussing of the terms and agreements, I'll sign it right away with no hesitations"

My eyes grew wide. "What did you say?" He clicked his tongue, clearly irritated by my questions.

"I already told you that I don't like repeating myself" He crossed his arms over his chest, waiting for my response. How was I suppose to respond? Gladly trade my assistant for a contract?

I'll have to ask her before I make my decision on this.

"Excuse me, can I ask why you want her in trade for the contract?"

His lips a thin line when I asked, eyes turning into slits as he looked at me. "She intrigues me, somewhat amusing even. She has the answers to the questions I've been asking myself for the past three years."

Three years? That's a freaking coincidence. Was Abby right all along? Is this really the man she's been looking for? But the man's dead, no one can survive a bomb explosion.

Maybe he's one of those doppel gangers? Stupid Zach, you and your weird beliefs, this is why you don't have a girlfriend.

"I'll have to ask her if she's comfortable with this, is that alright?"

"Certainly." He checked his watch before clicking his tongue in annoyance. "I have to go, tell me your decision right away or this contract will be abandoned soon."

And with that, he turned and walked away, leaving me and my business hanging in a balance.

****

Abby's POV

Fiddling with my pen, Zach came barging through the door. I stood up, realizing that he was deep in thought, his eyes unfocused, forehead wrinkled and lips in a thin line.

"Is something wron-"

He spoke too soon. "Yes, there is and it's involved with you" He met my eye, frustration amd stress clouding in them. I tried to calm myself from shaking, fearful that Dave might have not signed the contract.

Zach strides to me, his palms flat on my table as he kept his eyes on me.

"He wants you Abby, He won't sign the contract if I don't agree to give you to him, it's strange really, What if you were right all along? But why doesn't he recognize you?"

And with one final pitiful glance, he swiftly turned and walked away, leaving my thoughts to drown me in many questions.

Did Dave forget about me?

****

Hey guys! Hope you enjoyed the chapter :)

Tell me in the comments on what you think might happen next ;)

Don't forget to Vote and Comment, those actions really mean a lot to me, I enjoy reading the funny comments you write and it makes me smile as always :)

That's it for now readers! Stay updated for the next chapter.

Lots of Love ❤
-Author