Chapter 26: Claiming✔️

High alert.

There has been no rest these past few weeks, but we have yet to be attacked. We can only assume that they have either found us and are awaiting in the darkness, biding their time for the perfect moment to strike, or we destroyed the bogel before he could relay any information.

I am inclined to believe the former.

And so I am training, my sword clanging Dagons, my chest covered in a leather binding, my skirt shorter than I would like. His footwork is impressive, an assassin in truth. He is quick, not lingering long in his attacks, but that also makes him predictable, and before he has time to think, I give him an opening, only to have my sword at his throat faster than his next breath.

A slow clap resounds, the Arradiens finally praising me on my achievements, on my skill. They never thought a mere Imp would be of any use in battle.

"She is trained quite nicely." Morrigan says, walking around to face me.

"She is." Rhovan says proudly, stepping close to my side.

He looks me over, a snarl to his mouth. He doesn't mention my magyk but I can see he is seething over it, not able to relay this information, unwilling to create discord amongst his people.

He doesn't say another word, continuing on his way, back straight and proud.

Rhovan gives me a look, worried for my safety here, worried for his people's safety, unsure of himself.

I give him space, letting him continue his appraisals, practicing my archery skills, feeling the eyes of Sorsasta's friends and fellow female warriors on me. I have gained their respect by besting their most favored of the female warriors. They no longer glare at me with hatred, but that does not mean they like nor accept me into their community, just a toleration on their part.

I do not miss a target, do not miss a beat as I pull my bows string taught, holding it steady before releasing my arrow.

It hits the bulls eye with a resounding thunk, but as I draw my next arrow, taking a deep, calming breath, I am startled as Rhovan places his hand on my shoulder, the arrow misguided, not so center this time.

"Ya need to work on that, Imp. As much as I hate to say it, the battlefield does not stand still, ya are going to be tested and I want ya to be on ya're feet."

His voice is strained, his spirit buzzing anxiously around mine, trying to contain his need to hide me away, wanting me to be able to protect myself, if it should come to that.

My thoughts wonder. How could I ever allow my mate, the man I've come to care so much for, die for a battle that I have brought upon them? There must be another way. Maybe what Nel said was true, maybe I could be a bargaining chip, a pricey highborn elven princess for the protection of my mate, his people? But I shut out the thoughts, not wanting to worry him further, not wanting him to catch on to my ideas if it should come to it.

I smile at him, taking his hand. "I won't allow myself distractions if a battle comes upon us. I promise you." I say as I place a reassuring kiss to his chest, covering it with my hand over his heart.

He kisses my hand before pulling back, not taking a break for the mid days meal as he usually does, overworking himself.

"He cares deeply for you." Nyna says, leaning against the wall across from my balcony, my little haven.