05 | a quick fix

"Thank you." Jess suddenly whispered in Elijah's ear as the two were sitting, wrapped up in each other's arms on the black matted couch. They had spent the evening watching The Conjuring whilst Kylie had spent the night at her mothers' home.

They shared what Kylie had dubbed a sociopathic obsession for horror movies. They knew they wouldn't be watching any for the next few months as Kylie had made it crystal clear that she loathed them and that they could watch them over her dead body.

"Thank you for what?" Elijah replied, his eyes refusing to avert themselves from the image on the television screen.

"For being you?"

The corners of his mouth swiftly slid upwards accompanied with miniature creases forming around his eyes.

"Cheesy much, Jess?" He chuckled in response.

"I mean for trying with Kylie, stupid. I know she's not your favourite person, but I like that you're making a real effort with her. For me. It means a lot." She grinned deeply, the freckles across her cheek and on the bridge of her nose moving in synchrony as her facial muscles flexed.

Elijah had always called the freckles painted across Jess's face his 'angel kisses' and constantly likened them with constellations in the night sky.

He'd even used the cheesy line when he proposed to her of how he'd wanted to spend the remainder of his life tracing and counting the constellations on her face and across her body.

"I love you, Jess. There's absolutely nothing I wouldn't do for you. You know that, don't you?" He cupped her face gently as he stroked her cheek.

Jess closed her eyes to the feel of his touch. Nothing could ever compare to being touched by the person who acknowledges your flaws and loves you regardless, the person who loves your soul no matter how big or small your sins may be and the one who undresses your mind before they undress you.

Jess had found that person a long time ago in Elijah.

"Shall I show you just how much you mean to me upstairs, in our bed?" Elijah interrupted Jess's thoughts as he had already begun caressing his lips against hers. The kisses swiftly increasing in urgency.

"About that...remember what we talked about a couple weeks back?" Jess gradually pulled herself away from his lips. Reluctantly. Very reluctantly.

"What?" His breath becoming increasingly jagged as his lips begun moving down her neck, lower and lower until they nearly reached her breast in her low-cut night shirt.

"About remaining celibate until we get married?" She pulled up her shirt quickly and moved back slightly, finally gaining Elijah's attention.

"Wait, you were actually serious about that?" He moved himself back; clearly alarmed and slightly disappointed by her decision.

Jess shrugged lightly, "I want to wait for our wedding night."

"But what's the point in that? We're not even virgins, we've had sex with each other...on multiple occasions."

Elijah had known that Jess wanted a traditional Christian wedding. He'd remembered her explaining that although she hadn't followed many of the Christian values, she wanted to remain  a "virgin" until marriage, whatever that meant to Jess.

Elijah struggled to understand Jess's viewpoint completely, but he was well-aware that Jess had never been one to want sex very regularly in the first place. When they had first lost their virginities to each other, they had sex nearly every day, but that gradually came to a halt. And now, Elijah would be lucky to even get it once a week. It had now become a prize for him, for good behaviour, Jess had told him once.