-S I X T E E N-

Chapter Sixteen: He Did This to You?

Instead of spending my weekend relaxing, I was on edge. I didn't want to tell a soul about what happened. Micah would send out those pictures and my best friends would be embarrassed. They both have bright futures ahead and they don't need marks like this to ruin that. I was glad it was getting colder outside, so I had an excuse for wearing sweaters. I made sure to hide my wrists at all costs. One glance and my parents would flip. They had every right to, but I couldn't let that happen.

That wasn't the only problem. I couldn't get my mind off of Griffin. He's kept his distance, thankfully. I needed time to myself. He understood that and I was happy he did. My mind kept going back to Friday. I just threw myself on him and yet, I couldn't get myself to regret it. In that moment, I needed a sense of comfort. A feeling that I was going to be alright. He provided that.

I shook away my thoughts and got ready for school. I wore a burgundy sweater and black jeans paired with my black and white Vans. My hair was in a loose ponytail because I didn't feel like managing it. I didn't put in any makeup. I wasn't in the mood at all. Besides, I was going to school, not walking a runway.

I walked to school, glancing over my shoulder constantly. I was relieved when I got to school without seeing Micah once. I shuffled quietly to my locker and fumbled with the lock. The quicker I could get out of the hallway, the better.

"Mackenzie!" I squeaked like a mouse, dropping my books. I sighed, realizing it was Indie.

I picked up my books and shut my locker. As much as I loved her, I really didn't want to talk. All I wanted was to get back to my room and the day to be over. She stood in front of me, blocking my way.

"Dude, are you okay?"

I nodded without words. I couldn't bring myself to speak. All weekend I said nothing. Not a single word. I didn't even leave my room except to use the bathroom. Tanner brought food to me, knowing something was wrong with me. He could always just tell. I still didn't speak to him. Not because I was mad, but because I wanted to be alone.

Indie eyed me suspiciously, "What aren't you telling me?"

I bit my lip, hoping for some sort of excuse. Luckily, the bell rang and I rushed off to class. I let out a sigh of relief once I got to class. Micah and I didn't have any classes together. I couldn't be happier about that. I felt like if I saw him, I'd burst into tears. Hopefully, I didn't have to face him today.

The first half of school ended and I felt myself getting anxious. I could easily avoid Micah during classes, but lunch was a different story. I stared at my locker for a while, debating whether I should leave or not. No one would notice. I could slip out of the doors and be gone for the day. I was already marked here by my homeroom teacher, so my parents would know I was here.

I came back to my senses, knowing I couldn't just leave. I put my books in my locker and shut it. Then I realized I was alone in the hallway. My hands began shaking. I took deep breaths, trying to calm myself. The last thing I needed was to have a panic attack in the middle of the hallway. I began towards the cafeteria. Even though I didn't want to go, being with my friends would be better than having a panic attack in the hall.

Before I got to the lunchroom, I saw my friends exiting it. Griffin was with them. Kira was the first to spot me. She raced towards me and engulfed me in a hug. Indie and Griffin followed behind her. I melted in her arms, relaxing for the first time today. Indie joined in on the hug. I pulled away after a while.

"Why didn't you tell us about Micah? I would've kicked his ass!" Indie smiled, though I knew she was fuming. I wondered how Griffin got her to leave Micah alone.