-F O R T Y - T W O-

Chapter 42: I Am Mackenzie Oliver

The next few weeks flew by in a blur. A surreal blur. The less I wanted the day to arrive, the faster it did. Of course, it did. Time stopped for no one. It was an uncontrollable force. No amount of hoping and wishing could change that. Though I've tried becoming more comfortable with the concept, it was almost impossible. It was the end for me.

With it being my last day, I made it my mission to spend as much time with my family as I could. I spent the morning having breakfast with my family. It was nice to sit down and spend some quality time with my family. Unfortunately, they all had things to do, so I was left alone once again. I didn't let that stop me. I was determined to call my friends and other family members before it was too late. I started with Grandma Lyn, then moved onto my grandpa.

"Kenz?"

"Hey, gramps! How's my favorite old man?" I hide my sadness well.

"Better now that you called. I lost big time in bingo last night," He groaned. "How is that even possible?! I'm an old man! We get old people bingo powers at this age!"

I laughed, "No idea. Listen, gramps. I called to tell you I love you and to thank you for everything."

"Mackenzie, are you-"

I cut him off before he could start questioning me, "I gotta go, but I love you!"

"I love you too, Mackenzie."

I took a deep breath, holding back my tears, "Goodbye, Grandpa."

Once he hung up, I wiped the stray tears that managed to escape. I still had to call my best friends and Lindsay. I didn't have time for tears. I knew I couldn't stay on the phone for long or I'd start crying. Knowing my friends, they'd start asking questions I couldn't answer.

After multiple attempts, I couldn't get through to Indie. She was probably out with Bradley. Though I was disappointed I couldn't talk to her, I was glad she had him. Bradley could cheer her up after I'm gone. He was good at cheering her up. I could only hope he continued to make her happy.

I moved to Kira.

"Kenzie, unless it's an emergency, I have to go," She was whispering. "It's interview day for this new job."

"Just your monthly reminder that I love you," My voice was full of disappointment. "Good luck!"

"Thanks, Kenzie. I love you too."

"Goodbye Kira," I tried to sound cheerful but failed terribly.

She abruptly hung up before I could finish my last word. I sighed. It was easy to forget everyone had lives now. College was no joke. Especially for the kids who don't come from rich families. Picking up jobs were essential and that's exactly what Kira was doing. I was proud she was growing up. The thought of it all made me skeptical about calling Lindsay.

But I did anyway.

"Hello?"

"Lindsay!" My face lit up at the sound of her voice.

"What's going on? You haven't been this excited to hear my voice since you were ten."

I almost cried, "How are you?"

So, we went on talking for a few hours about her and her life. She was in her final year as an undergraduate. I found myself feeling guilty that I couldn't be there for her graduation. I knew it wasn't my fault, but I still felt guilty. Things between her and Andrew were still going well. He treated her like a queen at all times. It was nice to know he cared so much about her.