ten (edited)

Tyler's POV

Gray's Consulting had always been my number one priority, even before my dad had passed it down to me on my twenty-third birthday. The company had been his life, and pleasing him had been mine. So, when he'd handed over the reigns to his youngest son just over eight years ago, the pressure had fallen on me to perform. He trusted me, and I would do anything to keep it that way.

As a seasoned businessman, I was fully aware that a company's biggest asset was its workforce. As a CEO, with very little training in any specialty areas, there was only so much I could do to assist the day-to-day running of the place. I therefore relied heavily on the quality of my staff, which I personally favoured over the quantity, and was willing to invest anything in exchange for a single well-rounded employee.

Considering this, perhaps the greatest investment I had made in the last few months, was in the employment of a new Personal Assistant for myself. An overwhelming majority of my previous assistants had failed to last a couple of weeks in the role, which had led to my questioning whether I needed one at all. Candidates always seemed to be highly qualified, more than happy to spend their entire interview rattling off their numerous accolades and impressive histories. But for all the study they'd done, or the experience they claimed to have, they never seemed to be able to put it all into practice when the opportunity arose. Ally Carson, however, was no such candidate.

That day, when I'd entered a certain Mr Henries' office to assess my employees' interviewing capacity, I had ironically just come from a meeting with an advisor to suggest the termination of the Assistant role. I ultimately had the overriding vote in the matter, and had virtually made up my mind. Needless to say, I was just as surprised as anyone when I had made the sudden declaration:

"She'll work for me."

I had known, as all professionals did, that acting on instinct when making decisions was rarely the intelligent route to take. But the instinct was so strong that there hadn't really been another option.

"I'll take it," she had focused her gaze firmly on me as she hesitantly agreed to my unexpected proposal. Something had washed over me as she'd said those words. The innocence in her voice, also clear through her expression, was something I hadn't seen before. She intrigued me, but I wasn't sure why.

Shortly after leaving the meeting that day, I had concluded that I'd made a mistake in thinking with my balls rather than my brain, and feared that I would be paying for it when Miss Carson started the following Monday. But boy, had she proven me wrong since then.

Ally was brilliant; there was no other way of putting it. I'd first discovered this for myself during a meeting with a very important investor, when she'd demonstrated her wealth of knowledge and loyalty, after being at the company just a few short weeks. At the time, I hadn't reacted very well at all, accusing her of flirting with the investor rather than praising her for her work. But for some reason that hadn't stopped her from working hard, even harder than before, going above and beyond her job description on multiple occasions. Just last week she'd once again come to the rescue in an area that she wasn't even familiar with, completely out-smarting the IT development team and very literally saving our company's name. This time, I had given her my gratitude, knowing full well that she didn't expect or need it, but also aware that she fully deserved it.

She was also stunning; anyone with eyes could see it. The moment I'd first glanced in her direction during the interview, I had struggled to look away. And now, with the various changes she had made, the attraction had only intensified. The silky smooth caramel brown hair, the effortlessly flirtatious lashes, and that god-damned nose ring. I had always known that I had a thing for girls with piercings, but that little silver hoop took the obsession to a whole other level.