twenty five

"Oh my god," was all I could think to say as I let my eyes wander around the restaurant we'd just entered. "You weren't kidding when you said this would be fancy."

"Do you like it?" Nate asked, placing a gentle kiss on the back of my hand as I nodded my head. "I figured there's no point to us working so hard if we don't treat ourselves once in a while."

"Amen to that," I chuckled, pulling him in for a quick kiss before a waitress came over and led us to a table. Nate pulled out my chair for me like the true gentleman he was, making me smile at the gesture.

"Can I interest you any drinks to start off with?" The waitress asked once we'd taken our seats.

"I'll just take an iced water for now, thanks," I replied, while Nate opted for some fancy white wine.

While she was off getting our drinks, the two of us had a look through our menus. It was rather difficult to understand the names of most of the meals, as a vast majority of them appeared to be written in French. However, by far the hardest part was deciding which I was wanting to order. I was one of those people who would willingly eat pretty much anything, which was great for a set menu but not so great when there were five pages of delicious options.

"The iced water for you," the waitress placed the glass down in front of me. "And the Prieur Montrachet Chardonnay for you, sir."

"Thankyou."

"And are the two of you ready to order? Or should I come back in a moment."

"I'm ready," I looked over to Nate to see if he was also. He nodded, willing me to go on. "Could I please get the smoked salmon with the garlic butter sauce?"

"No worries," she smiled politely, collecting my menu from the table. "And for yourself, Sir?"

"Ermm..," Nate mumbled, obviously not quite sure of his decision. "Oh stuff it, I'll have the lobster, thanks."

"With the burnt butter sauce or the lemon garlic dressing?"

"Burnt butter."

Without even grabbing out a notepad, the waitress headed back to the kitchen. I guess memorising the orders was all part of the five-star service that I was so not used to.

"So..," I struck up a conversation as we waited for our meals. "What's new with you?"

We spent the next little while catching up on anything and everything that we hadn't found time to tell each other since we'd seen each other just yesterday. Although I refrained from using my phone at work as much as possible, Nate and I were practically in constant communication at every other moment of the day.

We'd also started getting into a bit of a rhythm with our sleepover schedule, especially in the last few days since Tyler's crazy mood-swing. I hated the fact that my boss seemed to have so much influence in almost every aspect of my life without even trying. But at the same time, I was really happy with how things were going between Nate and I, no matter the reason for the relationship developments.

I was in the middle of telling Nate a funny story from one of my recent trips to the gym when his attention was randomly drawn to something behind me. I ignored it at first, until it became rather clear that he wasn't even listening to me anymore.

"What are you staring at, babe?" I tried to snap him out of his state. "Is our food coming or something?"

When he still didn't reply, I finally turned my head to follow his gaze, the breath practically leaving my lungs when I saw exactly what he was so distracted by.

Tyler Gray had just entered the very same restaurant that we had chosen to eat at, at the very same time we'd chosen to do so. And he, of course, wasn't alone. Courtney was all over her man as the waiter led them over to a table just metres from ours. My boss was like a freaking horrible zit that just wouldn't leave me alone. And the plastic blonde was never far behind.