fourteen

(Unedited from here on.. sorry for any sudden changes of plot, character names, or general sensibility heheh)

"You wanted to see me sir?"

I'd taken my sweet time getting back from my lunch break, but knew that I had to face him sooner rather than later.

"Yes," Mr Gray replied, folding his hands on the desk in front of him. "Take a seat."

"Alright," I complied, "but I can't stay long. I have a rather large list of things to get back to - courtesy of my incredibly needy boss."

He stayed silent, his gaze hardening as he masterfully resisted my bait.

"I got your Budget Report," he stated, seeming a little unimpressed.

"Oh yes," I smiled proudly. "I put a lot of work into that. Did you like the font?"

"It looked remarkably similar to the one I got from the accounting department," he purposefully ignored my question. "Would you happen to know why?"

"Well since I didn't have the time to get myself an accounting degree at such short notice," I rolled my eyes, "I had to be resourceful."

"That quick mouth of yours is going to get you in trouble one of these days, Miss Carson," his eyes had significantly darkened.

"What did you expect me to do?" I scoffed. "That's not even my job!"

"Your job is to do whatever your needy boss asks you to do," he used my words against me.

"Within reason," I shot back. "I know that I do a hell of a lot of stuff that isn't in my job description, but you've got to agree that this was taking it a little too far."

"So now you're going to despute my ability to assign you reasonable jobs?"

"Especially if you're going to critique my ability to complete them," I replied sharply. "You know that there's nothing I could have told you that wasn't already in the accounting team's report."

"I expect my assistant to be on top of all areas of the business," he justified himself. "I'm starting to wonder if you even take this job seriously!"

"What is your problem, Mr Gray?!" I finally snapped. "If I've done something wrong, please feel free to let me know. But as far as I'm aware, I have done nothing but work my butt off for you and for this company. Yet it seems to me like the only time you ever acknowledge my effort is when I do something that saves your ass in the process. And even then, I don't count on it."

I mumbled the last bit under my breath, although I knew he'd heard it clear as day.

"Of course I'm not gonna thank you for every little thing you do. Do you want me to congratulate you for changing the font and background colour of some stupid report? Is that what you want!"

"I just want a bit of respect, to feel as though the stuff I do for you isn't for nothing. Because right now it feels like all you're trying to do is spite me with these stupid tasks."

"I'm just doing my job, and expecting you to do yours."

"Mine and everyone else's," I argued. "I'm your assistant, not your slave."

"It's not like I get any recognition for what I do around here either," he conveniently changed the subject. "No one comes into my office with a parade of balloons to thank me for making a good decision."

"The whole world is showering you with complements for your work. I would know since you made me go through all those reviews." I once again mumbled that last bit. "Do you want to hear all that from me too? Have me worship the ground you stand on?"