thirty four

Just as we were about to head off to the next shop, a voice called my name from somewhere behind me, causing me to turn around instinctively.

"Shit," I cursed under my breath as I saw the voice's owner approaching where I stood beside Tyler. "How's it going, Mason?"

"Oh it's going just fine with me," he had a sly expression on his face that I couldn't quite read as he inspected the situation in front of him.

"I'm glad," I replied stiffly. "Um, Tyler, this is Mason - my ex," he gave a small nod in Mason's direction. "And Mason, this is-"

"Don't act like I don't already know who the fuck this is, Ally," Mason cut me off rather aggressively, planting a pretty distinct seed of terror in my mind.

"Woah woah," Tyler now spoke up, taking a step closer to Mason as though to become a barrier between him and me. "Don't you dare speak to her like that, bro. What the fuck is your problem?"

Mason let out a low chuckle, as though this was the biggest joke in the world to him. Tyler definitely wasn't the type to appreciate being laughed at, which only added to my intense fear for how this encounter would progress.

"You didn't tell him, Ally?" Mason passed the dialogue back to me sardonically. "Oh baby, I hope this lying thing isn't becoming a habit."

"Don't you dare 'baby' me, Mason," I seethed, ignoring the part where he accused me of being a chain-liar. If he really wanted to have that conversation, then it was something to be done anywhere but in a public mall.

"Why?" He smirked, turning back to Tyler. "Is the big guy gonna get jealous? Is the boss man gonna fire me?"

"What the fuck man!" Tyler was now up in Mason's face, having had entirely enough of his shit. "I don't know what your deal is, or what the fuck you're going on about, but I think you should le-"

Tyler was cut off as Mason sent his fist flying, punching him square on the cheek. His head flew to the side as he momentarily lost his bearings, hunching over in pain just in front of where I was standing.

"Fuck," I muttered under my breath as I attempted to attend to Tyler. But when I looked in his eyes, they were so unbelievably dark with anger that I was almost more frightened by him than by my raging ex. It reminded me of the look in Anakin's eyes when they became an evil red just before he turned to the dark side, and I didn't like it one bit. "Don't bother with him, baby," I reasoned softly, cupping his face lightly with my hand. "He's not worth it."

Tyler stared into my eyes as he took a few heavy breaths, giving me some hope that he'd actually listened and was starting to calm down. But just when I thought he was going to walk away from the fight, he turned back around and took a swing at Mason, catching him off guard and sending him to the ground.

"Tyler! Stop!" I yelled, running over in an attempt to restrain him. But he was too strong, and seemed to have his mind solely focused on winning this fist-fight.

"I can't believe you've fallen for his trap, Ally," Mason spoke rather calmly as he got back up. "I really thought you were better than that."

"And I thought I fucking told you to shut the fuck up!" Tyler yelled before I could get a word in, throwing another punch that was taken a lot better than the first one, most likely because it was also much more predictable. Mason quickly fought back, wrestling Tyler into an almost headlock position.

"Guys! Enough already!" I shouted, but I was the last thing on their minds by this point. All attempts to break them apart would be completely futile given their current determination.