Chapter 6 - Discoveries

After a few twists and turns, we reached the laundry. Tsubaki leaned on the wall and waited patiently for me to finish. I put the clothes into the washing machine and added all the detergent and fabric conditioner. I could feel Tsubaki's eyes on me, but I was too flustered to look back at him. I finished all the preparations and switched the washing machine on, twirling to face him.

"Mission accomplished," I said, saluting. Tsubaki smiled. "Back to my room we go!" I pointed back the way we came.

I marched eagerly to my room and threw open the door. I saw the big mess I'd left when I was searching for my bedclothes. I'd thrown all my clothes on the floor in the search for them. I stopped dead in my tracks and turned to Tsubaki, who looked undisturbed.

"Yeah, I should probably clean this up and unpack properly," I said, sighing.

Tsubaki looked at me, almost with pity. "My room is right next door. Please feel free to visit," he said and winked, before leaving.

Okay, Yui. You can't have a stroke when even a boy says something like that to you. Stay cool, and don't go red as a tomato. I slapped my cheeks lightly. I'll handle it better next time.

I started to unpack my things. I put my clothes in the wardrobe and attached my games console to the television, placing all of my games in a big stack on one side of it. Then I put my anime stuff, well, everywhere. I plastered my wall with posters, placed my anime DVDs and manga on the shelves and placed my plush collection on the few still-bare shelves and my desk. I put a massive stuffed dog on my bed. I know I'm probably too old to be doing this, but I still can't sleep without it.

Within a few hours, I'd finished unpacking and my room looked like my one back in our old house. I looked to the part of the wall where I'd stuck all my pictures of Sora, Ema and me and felt a small jab in my heart. It's so different when Sora's not here.

I exited my room and padded to Ema's. I knocked and entered. Ema was fast asleep, Juli next to her. I smiled gently and made sure the blanket was properly covering her. I went and sat down at her desk. My eyelids started to grow heavy and I felt myself drifting into slumber.

...

I awoke to find Ema's bed empty. It was quite late, where could she be? I looked beside me to see a note that said:

I went to have a bath on the fifth floor

-Ema

I walked down the hall to my room to gather my things to bathe. I should have one too, it's been a long day. While I was walking, I remembered that I was supposed to hang up mine and Ema's clothes to dry. I walked into the laundry to see Masaomi taking out the washing. "Oh," escaped my mouth.

Masaomi was a little startled and looked up. He saw me and gave one of those heart-melting smiles. "Sorry, I just thought I'd better put on another load and hang these out to dry," he said, holding up a big basket of wet laundry, and another was sitting beside him. I was a bit confused at the bulk of it until I realised they had three washing machines. Well, when you have that many siblings, one or two washing machines just wouldn't be enough.

I placed all my stuff on top of the washing machine and took the basket on the floor. "Here, let me help," I offered, heaving the basket up.

Masaomi stood up and put his hands over mine, attempting to take the basket. My heart skipped a beat. "It's fine, you just got here today, you shouldn't be doing work," he said, gently pulling at the basket.

I stood my ground. "I'm not letting go," I challenged.

Masaomi sighed. "Well, okay, if it's not too much trouble," he said, reluctantly letting go of the basket.

"It's fine, Masa-nii," I grinned. He looked pleased that I'd called him Masa-nii.

He lead the way and I followed not far behind. We walked onto a roof, where there were many lines to hang clothes on. He strode to a line and I picked the one right next to it. We hung the clothes in silence.

When I'd finished, I walked over to Masaomi, just as he was picking up his empty basket.

He caught sight of me and looked my way. He always had the same gentle expression on his face. "Next time, you can just leave you clothes in the laundry, and I'll make sure they get cleaned. It's faster that way and it saves a lot more water."

"Can do," I said as I walked over to him. Masaomi took my basket and thanked me for helping, saying I could go. I nodded and walked to the laundry and grabbed my things, then headed off to the bathroom.

...

I was walking down the hallway to the balcony area overlooking the living room when I saw Tsubaki and Azusa. They looked like they were talking to someone, so I continued walking in silence so as not to interrupt their conversation.

I walked into view and saw that Ema and Subaru were there with Tsubaki and Azusa.

"Hey, Subaru!" I called to him. He, along with everyone else, turned to me. I waved happily at Subaru. I saw Tsubaki narrow his eyes a little in Subaru's direction, then he quickly turned to grin at me.

"It's only been a few hours. Did you miss me that badly?" He walked towards me with his arms outstretched. I walked to him and pinched his nose. His hands immediately when to his nose to pry my fingers off.

"You got a hug from me once already today, I think that's enough," I said in a nice way. I let go of his nose and walked to Azusa, Ema and Subaru. "What're you guys talking about?" I inquired, peering at the desk, which had some sort of script on it.

"Tsubaki-san and Azusa-san are voice actors, Yui," Ema informed me.

"No. Way," I looked at them in disbelief. They were grinning smugly. They're the real deal. "Oh my Lord. Oh my Lordy Lord. Two of my brothers are voice actors, this is so cool!" I was literally jumping up and down.

Azusa was a bit surprised by my reaction, while Tsubaki stood there, absorbing all the praise.

"Tsubaki Asahina... Azusa Asahina... Your names and voices are so familiar. I bet you're in anime, aren't you?"

Azusa smiled warmly. "Yes, we're in quite a few anime, actually."

"That's amazing! If you have any DVDs, could I please borrow them?" I mused. "I'm sure you guys are absolutely fantastic voice actors! I'd love to hear you!"

Azusa looked really pleased, his face a light pink. "We're average, I guess," he said, rubbing the back of his head, embarrassed. I grabbed his hands and looked him straight in the eyes.

"No you're not. You don't have to be modest. I bet you're really good," I said determinedly.

His eyes widened. He was a bit bewildered but then his face melted into a peaceful smile. His face was serene. "Thank you," he said and gently squeezed my hands.

I gave him a close-eyed smile. I pulled away from Azusa to see Tsubaki had a scowl on his face and Subaru's eyebrows were creased, almost like he was sad.

I suddenly remembered the reason I came in the first place. I was meant to have a bath. "Do you guys mind if I use the bathroom," I asked, lifting up my bathing things, signalling that I wanted to have a bath.

"Go right ahead," Subaru said.

"Yup, thanks." I jogged to the hallway next to the bathroom, stopped and turned around. "Subaru, could you wait here? There's still that thing I said I wanted to give you."

Subaru was a little surprised, meaning he'd forgotten. "S-sure, I'll wait."

"Okay, thanks," I said and walked down the hallway to the bathroom.