Chapter 11 - Punctuality

Chirp chirp chirp.

I slowly opened my eyes to the sound of the birds chirping. Ahh, what a beautiful sound. The side of my face was sore and I realised I'd fallen asleep on top of my books. Owwww, I thought as I rubbed my face sleepily. I lifted my head up and looked to the window. It's a bit bright for 7am, isn't it?

I turned my head to the my left to look at my alarm clock. 8:25am. Oh okay, it's 8:25... WAIT, WHAT?! I grabbed my alarm clock to see if I was imagining things. Nope. It was definitely 8:25. Why didn't my alarm wake me?! I breathed in and out, calming myself. Okay, if I can get ready in 10 minutes, I should be able to run and make the 8:45 train. If there aren't any delays, I should be able to make it to school with 5 minutes to spare.

Or so I thought. It was naive of me to think that I'd be lucky enough to have things go down that quickly, but nooooo, that's not how the world rolls. I had to search all over my room for my books, knock down absolutely everything that was upright and trip over my own feet a few times before I managed to get my bag packed. I found my uniform in my closet, THANK GOD, then ran to my bathroom and changed. Even though I was in a rush, I didn't want to look like a slob.

I quickly brushed my hair, and if the brush caught on a knot I just yanked the brush, which was really painful, but right now I didn't have the luxury to complain. I braided my hair to the side, threw my phone into my bag, and dashed out of my room. I ran down the hallway and checked my watch as I ran down the stairs.

Bad idea.

I heard someone call my name and I looked up quickly, losing my footing at the last couple of steps. I felt gravity pulling me down and shut my eyes tightly, bracing for impact... Now!

Instead of hitting the hard, wooden floor, I hit something soft and warm that enveloped me. Then, I continued falling. After taking a second to realise that I wasn't hurt, I opened my eyes. Tsubaki groaned, his arms around me.

"Tsubaki! Oh my God, oh my God! Are you okay? I'm so sorry! I'll get off!" I said as I tried to lift myself off him. I felt his arms tighten around me and pull me down to his chest.

"Ne~ Yui-chan, I might be hurt. You... probably shouldn't move around too much. Let's just... stay like this," he said gently.

I didn't know how to respond. "U-uh, o-okay."

We laid there on the floor for a while.

"Tsubaki?"

"Yes?"

"I'm sorry, but I really have to go. I'm late for school. I've got about 2 minutes to make the train." He loosened his grip and I got off him. He lifted himself into a seating position and I held my hand out. He smiled and took it and I hoisted him up. I brushed off his clothes and straightened his blazer. He just stood there, stunned.

"Y-Yui, what are you doing?"

"Fixing your clothes. After all, it's my fault." I finished fixing his clothes at looked up at him. "Are you alright? I'm really, really, really sorry," I said, frantically bowing. "I'll make it up to you, I swear!"

I bowed one last time, rushing to the kitchen before he had a chance to speak. I took a couple of muesli bars and put one in my mouth, shoving the rest in my bag, along with my lunch box.

I ran back to Tsubaki and bowed again. "Sorry. Really sorry. Sorry!" And dashed for the door. I fumbled with my shoes. "Bye everyone!" I shouted back as I opened the door. Just as I was about to step outside, Tsubaki came running to me.

"Yui!"

I whipped around to him.

"Since you're late, why don't... Why don't I just drive you to school?"

"Really?! You'd do that. Thank you so much Tsuba-chan!"

He smiled happily. "Yes, yes, I'm the best. Go on, praise me."

"Tsuba-chan, you're the best. You're amazing. You're the coolest brother ever!" I saw his eye twitch a little as I said "brother".

"I'll go grab my keys, you wait out front," he said as he jogged down the hall.

I complied with his orders and waited outside. He drove out in a very expensive-looking silver car. I hurried to it, opened the door and jumped in. He drove off almost immediately. "Thank you so much, Tsuba-chan, I don't know what I'd do without you!"

"Sorry. Thank you. Yui, if you say either of those words again, I think my head's gonna explode," he laughed.

My face went red. "Sor-" I stopped myself quickly and he laughed again.

"You're just too cute, Yui-chan." My face went even redder.

"Wait, if I can't say thank you, how am I supposed to respond?"

He grinned to himself. He pointed at his cheek and winked at me. "How about giving onii-chan a kiss?"

A large part of me was saying, "Go for it!" A small part of me was saying, "Yui, have you even kissed a boy before, even if it's on the cheek, you'll manage to stuff it up, you klutz." A tiny, microscopic part - which was quite quickly drowned out - was saying, "Noooooooo man, don't do it. HE'S YOUR BROTHER."

In the end, the small part of me won. "I-I can't," I said, and looked down, embarrassed.

As if reading my mind, Tsubaki said, "Ahhh, I see. Has Yui-chan never kissed a boy before?"

I quickly turned my head to face him. "Is it that obvious?"

"Not really, I just have some really good instincts," he smiled smugly. "But I'm actually really surprised. The amazing Yui Hinata has never had her first kiss. I would've never thought."

"Oh stop it, Tsuba-chan, you're making me blush," I said teasingly.

"You know..." he started as we were reaching the school, a couple of straddlers making their way into the building. "If you ever want to change that, I'll be right here." He winked.

I picked up my bag and stepped out of the car. I turned back and leaned in. "Thanks Tsuba-chan, I'll keep that in mind," I said jokingly and I closed the door and walked off.

"Wait, Yui-chan!" he called after me. I turned around and he threw his blazer over my shoulders, holding the collar in his hands he looked me in the eye. "It's chilly. You should wear this."

I smiled at him. "I owe you three times now, Tsuba-chan."

He smiled back at me. "Guess you do."

He held my shoulders and looked to his left, then his right. He gave a little sigh of relief and pulled me into his arms.

For the second time today, he embraced me. For the second time, I stood there like a disabled goat, not responding.

He stroked my hair and whispered in my ear. "Does that count as you owing me four now?"

I laughed. "No way."

"Damn."

He pulled away and dashed off, waving behind him. He got into his car and I watched him as he drove away.

Wait. School. Late. OMG. RUN!

I pelted for the building and ran to my classroom, opeing the door suddenly, and just as the bell rang. Everyone looked at me as I made my way to my seat next to Akito.

Only then did I realise what had happened.

Tsubaki. This morning. Just now. And I just.

Brain shutting down.

My face started burning and I covered my face with my hands.

What. Just. Happened?