Chapter 29 - Lost

Some days passed and the career counselling meeting had come. I stood in front of my classroom, waiting for Masaomi to finish with Ema and Yusuke's meeting. I was surprising to see Kana-nii walking towards me.

"Kana-nii? Why are you here?" I noticed that he was wearing a suit. I admired it without thinking.

"Masaomi had some business to attend to so I'm here in his place." With a sly smile, he drew closer to me and put his arm around my waist. "Did I make you wait long?"

I removed his hand and smiled up at him. "Not at all. Let's go inside. My teacher's waiting."

"Aww, imouto-chan is so cold to me," Kana-nii said sadly.

I sighed. I was starting to get used to him.

I walked behind him and pushed him towards the door. "You're making my teacher wait too long. Come on."

We entered and I greeted Nakamura-sensei, apologising for the wait. I took my seat. Kana-nii followed, eyeing the teacher with obvious distaste. Sensei noticed it, but he didn't seem bothered at all. My bet is it's because Sensei is good looking.

"Hinata-san, it seems like you've completely thought out which university you want to go to."

"Hai," I said confidently.

Kaname took the paper and his eyes widened as he read through it. "Imouto-chan is aiming for such a high-class university! Kirigaoka is so prestigious! The tests are very difficult."

This wasn't the first time I'd had this kind of response. "The tests are so tough, are you sure you'll make it?" and "You're really smart, but isn't Kirigaoka a bit... out of your reach?" had been repeated to me numerous times. But I'll do whatever it takes to make it.

"I am aware the tests aren't very easy, but I've made up my mind to go to that university. I'll work really hard."

"That's some wonderful determination you have there. I wish you the best."

I thanked him and he ended the meeting.

As we walked back home alone (Ema and Yusuke had already left), Kana-nii seemed to be sulking a little. "Of course I know that my darling little sister will be able to get into that university!"

"I know. Thank you for the support."

He beamed. I seemed to have satisfied his ego.

We walked home in relative silence, with the occasional remark from Kana-nii. Things like "I wouldn't mind carrying you home of you're suddenly too tired to walk", which I shrugged off. Honestly,  I was a little tired, but there was no way I was telling him that.

We got home after not too long, the sun had already begun its descent into the horizon. I greeted everyone and went to my room. I changed into casual clothes, and the events of the day were taking their toll. I yawned, my eyelids becoming very heavy. My body didn't give me much of a choice other than to sleep, so sleep I did.

I woke up after a couple of hours, it was quite late. I laid back down and attempted to go back to sleep, but I just didn't feel tired anymore. I decided to go down to the kitchen and make myself a drink, hoping it'd make me a little drowsy.

On my way to the kitchen, I found Yusuke asleep on the couch. His back faced me and he looked rather uncomfortable. I considered for a minute that he might be feverish and placed my hand on his forehead. His hand suddenly shot out and grabbed my arm, and he sat up, staring at me warily.

"Sorry, thought you were sick. And asleep," I said, unfazed by his actions.

He gave me an irritated look and laid back down. Are you ignoring me?! I smiled angrily and began scheming. Then I reconsidered, taking some time to calm down. I went to the kitchen and made myself some hot chocolate, as I'd intended to do from the start. However, I also made one for Yusuke because I'm a generous soul and that brat needs to learn who's boss.