Chapter 12 - Yui's Happiness

"Oiiiiiiiiiiii, Yui," Akito called.

I quickly looked up, my face burning and stared at him blankly, still dazed.

"Are you okay what happened?" he tilted his head to one side, peering at me.

"I- There- Car- Uh- Brother- Late-," I said and pointed in the direction of the front gate.

Akito frowned and concentrated. "I'm sorry, I don't understand," he said, smiling sadly. Then he suddenly perked up. "Hey does it have something to do with this jacket?" He said and tugging on the sleeve a little.

I nodded silently.

He was still holding the sleeve and observed it. "Wait, this is a blazer. A... boy's blazer." He looked at me for an explanation, but I was too busy trying to calm down to reply.

"But whose is-"

There was a loud clatter. I looked to my left to see Yoshida-kun standing up, his chair on the floor. He was looking down angrily at his desk, his teeth clenched.

"Is something the matter, Yoshida-san?" the teacher asked.

Yoshida-kun looked up, as if suddenly realising where he was. His face relaxed instantly and he picked up his chair and sat down, muttering that it was nothing.

The class resumed and I eventually managed to calm myself down and focus. I occasionally caught the scent of Tsubaki's cologne, which threw me off every single time.

Before I knew it, it was lunch time and I was walking with Akito to the back of the school for lunch. We sat down and enjoyed our meal in silence.

"Hey, Yui?"

I looked up from my lunch. "Yeah?"

"Well, if... you.. don't mind me asking..."

"Go for it."

"Uh, whose blazer is that?"

I looked at the blazer, only reacting a tiny bit. "Oh, this is Tsubaki's."

"Oh," he replied, and it was quiet again.

"Yui?"

"Hmm?"

"Who's Tsubaki?" he asked, looking away from me.

"Tsubaki is..."

"Is...?" he looked back expectantly.

"My new brother!" I said happily.

"Thank God," he sighed, relieved.

"Why's that?" I inquired.

"I thought he was your boyfriend."

I choked on my sandwich. "No way."

"Hey, why did you say he was your new brother?"

"Did I?"

"Yup."

"Well..." I dragged. "If I tell you this, you can't tell annnnyyyoonneee. Kay?"

"Cross my heart."

I looked left to right to see if anyone was eavesdropping on our conversation.

"Okay. So it was originally just me and Ema. But then Dad met this woman and they're going to get married, so our parents decided it would be more convenient if Ema and I went to live with her sons. So we moved out and yeah."

"Sons? Does that mean you have more than one brother?"

"Mhmm. It's really nice having brothers.'

"So how many do you have?"

"I haven't met all of them yet, but I was told there were thirteen in total."

Now it was his turn to choke on his sandwich.

"Th-thirteen?!"

"I know, I had a mini heart attack when I found out too. But they're all really great," I beamed.

"Wanna tell me about them?" he offerred, genuinely interested.

"Well, I'll tell you about the ones I've met so far. There's the first son, Masaomi, he's a paediatrician. He's very gentle and warm. The second son, Ukyo, who's a lawyer. He's a little strict at times but he's really caring. Kaname, the third son. He's a monk, but a womanizer too. He seems like a really considerate person. Haven't met the fourth son. Fifth son, Tsubaki. He's a seiyuu, which is amazing, and he's very outgoing and fun. Sixth son, Azusa. He's also a seiyuu. He's very calm and collected. Him and Tsubaki are twins, but apart from their faces, they're very different. I haven't met the seventh son. I think I walked past the eighth one in the hallway, but I can't really be sure. Son number nine is Subaru, a basketball player. He's very shy and awkward, but also very sweet. Then comes Iori, the tenth son. He's a high school student. He's very kind and princely. Okay. Get ready for the next couple of sons. You'll be shocked. To. The. Core."

He took a deep breath. "I'm ready!"

"Son number eleven. Haven't talked much. Student at Hinode High School. Name: Yusuke Asahina."

"Yusuke in class B?" his eyes widened.

"The very same."

"Wow, man. I went to middle school with him. That's so weird."

"I know, right?"

"Okay, son number twelve?"

"I really shouldn't be telling anyone this but swear you'll keep it a secret?"

"Definitely."

"You know Asakura Fuuto. That 15 year old idol?"

"Yeah, what about him?"

I stayed silent and looked at Akito, allowing him to make the connection. His eyes widened as the realisation hit him.

"No. Way."

"Yes way."

"An idol for a brother. I wouldn't be able to handle that. Is he the same as he is on TV?"

"He's a little but mean sometimes, and he talks in a very condescending way, but I'm already used to it since I actually met him before we became siblings."

"Small world."

"I was surprised too. Now. Let's finish this off. The thirteenth son is Wataru, an elementary school student. He's so cute. Oh my God. I just can't handle the kawaii."

"Sounds like you really like these brothers of yours," Akito smiled happily.

I nodded like a small child. "I've never had any brothers before. Ema and I weren't all that close in the past - which was mostly my fault - so I really don't want to let them down. I really do love them all."

My eyes started watering.

Akito laughed. "Are you that happy?"

I nodded, my heart filled with joy. I genuinely loved all my new brothers from the bottom of my heart. Even the ones who didn't seem to like me. Even the ones whom I hadn't met yet. They all have a place in my heart. I'll cherish them always.

I felt a small weight on my head and saw that Akito had placed his hand on my head.

He smiled gently at me. "I hope you're always smiling like this."

I closed my eyes as I smiled and wiped my eyes, nodding my head.

"Thank you."