Chapter 24

Kayla's POV

I was ecstatic that he was giving me the chance, but I didn't know if I could convince him in that time. I already got his wolf on my side, I just needed his human on my side. I could feel the yearning between both of our wolves, yet one stubborn human side kept them apart.

I met up with Aria, explaining the situation. I would need her help in getting Zane to realize that I didn't really have a choice. That what I did was to protect the both of us. She agreed to help me, knowing how stubborn Zane could be. I felt bad for using his best friend to get him back, but I seriously needed to show him that I cared for him. That I didn't reject him because of his status.

He'd heard it in words, now I just needed to show him that I meant it. No matter what, I would succeed. I needed to.

Zane's POV

I paced in the room I'd been given, unable to stop thinking. I just couldn't seem to drop the thought of being stuck in this pack for a few months, just so my pitiful mate could attempt at getting me back. I didn't know why I told her that, but once I said something then that was that. I never went back on my word.

After this long period of pacing, wearing the carpet down, I decided it was best to get out of that house. I kept myself in human form, not wanting to tear the clothing I had been given. I needed a good run in human form anyway. I left my room, heading down the stairs. Luckily, no one was around, which gave me easy access to the front door. Everyone seemed to be in the same area, which made me think about a possible pack meeting.

I shook my head, starting off at a slow jog. This quickly evolved into a full out sprint, my annoyance and anger melting away with each step. I was still angry over the fact that Kayla marked me without permission, though I knew that I wouldn't be running now if she hadn't. That's the only good thing that came from this forced marking.

I pushed myself to the limit, my chest heaving after running for about half an hour. I was weaker than I had been before I'd been poisoned, but I guess that was to be expected. I just needed to gain my strength back, so I could still find Charles and rip his head off his body.

I came to a slow stop, my body pouring sweat. It was getting colder as the sun started to set, the fall air turning into winter air. Snow was one of my favorite things, since it always gave me a sense of calm. It would also be fun to stain the snow with the blood of those I despise, mostly Charles. Even thinking about it got me excited, imagining the taste of his blood in my mouth, gushing over my canines.

I shook that thought out of my head, knowing that if I kept thinking like that my wolf would come out and kill something. I couldn't risk that, since I wasn't here to hurt the pack, no matter how much I wanted to. I let my body cool off, steam rising from my burning skin. I plopped down onto the hardening ground, feeling the cold seep through my clothing. It helped calmed my mind, so that when I entered the house I wouldn't be tempted to kill someone.

I heard and felt the jump of a scared heartbeat, knowing instantly it was Kayla. My wolf forced my instincts into action, forcing me to my feet. She seemed scared and sad, which made me rush to her, no matter how much I fought against it. Soon, I was standing in front of my room, seeing her looking out the window.

She heard me enter, turning to see who had followed her into the room. Relief flooded her face, and I finally understood. She had been scared that I left, which would mean breaking my promise to stay for a while. She almost jumped on me, though she quickly remembered that I wasn't completely her mate. She remembered that there was a possibility she would lose limbs if she attempted to get near me.

"I... I thought you'd left.."

She spoke quietly, looking at the ground. She seemed to really want to hug me, which was the mate bond talking, but she refused to get close. She was smarter than that.

"I figured. I felt it through the small bond."

I emphasized the fact that we had a small bond, not one I willingly shared. I took my shoes off, setting them by the doorway of my room. I expected her to leave, but she didn't seem to want to. I looked at her, raising an eyebrow. She looked like she wanted to say something, but shook her head instead, scurrying out of the room.

I shrugged my shoulders, watching her leave. Lyall made a sound of disappointment, having wanted her to try and get me to accept her. He was mad at me, though he was only mad because the bond had brainwashed him. He obviously didn't remember what she'd done to us, ripping our heart out. I sat on the bed, deciding it was best to get some rest.

Kayla's POV

I felt so useless. I couldn't even talk to my mate, the one person I'm supposed to trust with my life. Instead, I had to protect myself from him, since he would rather tear me limb from limb than accept me. I could feel his wolf's yearning, but he still wouldn't budge. I moved to my room, wanting so badly to go back to his room.

Being separated like this didn't feel good, but I knew that if I lost my life, i wouldn't get to convince him that what I said before was true. I really did reject him to protect him. I just couldn't see why he won't accept that.

Hey guys! Sorry, my phone isn't being cooperative, so this chapter doesn't have a change in font. I've been really busy, so I'm sorry that I've taken so long to create a new chapter. I hope to get them out faster in the future, but I'm not for sure about that. Just keep a look out for the next chapter!

-Deamun