Chapter 27

My mind was wild, my eyes darting around. I could've sworn that I knew that sound, the one that meant my possible death not long before now. I heard Kayla charging after me, calling my name as I looked through the forest.

I finally came to a stop, panting heavily as I looked around, my teeth bared and my tail up in a dominant stance. The fresh scent of rotten blood filled my nose and I knew who it was instantly. Charles had returned. He'd come back to finish the job, but it seemed more like he was toying with me, making it seem like I was so close to catching him, yet so far.

Kayla came up behind me, out of breath as well. She bent over, catching her breath before speaking.

"What's wrong?"

She questioned, still panting slightly. Aria soon followed, her ears perked up as she listened for anything that might have caused me to bolt like I did. Determination filled my eyes, and a low grumble filled the silence. I was surprised they couldn't smell his rancid stench, the only thing that let me know he'd been here.

I paced, too angry to shift back and warn them. I took off once more, heading back to the pack house. This would ensure their safety, seeing as Charles was messing with me and would probably kill anyone with me if he came back. I couldn't let that happen before I even gave them a chance. That wouldn't be right.

The other two followed me, obviously concerned as to why I had bolted. Even if they didn't know me that well, they still knew that it wasn't like me to just bolt like this. They knew I would much rather hold my ground instead of running. But what I smelled made me run.

The last time I had a chance to take Charles down was the closest I'd ever been to death. I didn't want to go through that pain and suffering again, and now that I was giving Kayla a chance, she would feel it as well. I couldn't force anyone to feel that pain, not even my worst enemy.

As soon as we reached the pack house, I started the shift back. It didn't take as long as it normally does, so I was done in about ten minutes. The other two were out of breath, but looking at me with concern.

"What was that?!"

Kayla questioned, a bit of an alpha tone going into her voice. I let a soft growl out, not liking that she was going alpha on me. But i let it slide, not wanting to start anything again.

"Nothing. Just... Don't go near the woods.."
I said simply, moving away from the two of them and into the pack house. I could hear them follow me, obviously confused and concerned. I had hoped they wouldn't ask questions because they would attempt to take Charles down themselves if they knew he was back.

It was obvious they couldn't smell him, let alone know where he was. They'd die almost instantly without any sort of warning. I didn't want that to happen to them so I decided I would keep my mouth shut whenever they asked questions.

I went straight to the room I woke up in after I'd been healed of vampire venom, where Kayla had been pressed against me while I had been unconscious. I went into the room and sat on the bed, putting my head in my hands. I heard two pairs of footsteps, but only one approached.

Kayla's POV

So much confusion flowed through me, and I could tell that Aria was just as confused. We didn't know why Zane had bolted like he did, only to return to the house in the same fashion. I could feel fear through our weak bond, and my mind began working. I hadn't smelt anything peculiar in the woods, and I definitely didn't sense anyone.

When I got up to our room, I found him sitting on the edge of the bed, his head in his hands. I knew Aria wanted to come in with me, but I decided that it was best if I went in alone. I closed the door behind me, moving to sit on the bed next to him. I started to put an arm around his shoulders but quickly stopped when I felt his body tense up. Hurt flowed through me but I quickly ignored it, focusing on his needs at the moment.

"Zane? What is it?"

Sorry I haven't posted, and that this is a shorter chapter than normal, but I wanted to get something out to you guys. The next chapter should be coming soon.

-Deamun