CHAPTER 24

Stepping in to her bedroom in her palace she closed the rift behind her, tore her now worn and sweaty cloths off and jumped into the shower. Thankfully it had been fixed by Neo and his people or Zach rather as he insisted on being called any time he was not actively hacking something or another.

As she was drying her hair she felt some one enter her room briefly then leave. She peered around the corner, it was taking some getting used to having servants while she knew it was never their intent it always felt like they were invading her privacy.

Her dirty clothes had been taken and to her surprise a thin white dress lay on her bed. She walked over and picked it up. It felt soft, softer and silkier then any material she had ever felt before and her eyes flowed across the beautifully swirling patterns embossed in its seamless weave. Something like this must have taken Verin hundreds of tries to make and she could not help but wonder where he had found the time as she quickly pulled it on.

She stepped in front of the room's floor to ceiling mirror and twirled around as she looked at herself. She hadn't worn anything this nice since before she came to Thaxium.

A knock sounded at the door and she felt Verin smiling to himself as he waited for her to answer.

XRenia waved her hand at her hair and a part of it braided it's self into a flower shape around the back of her head while the rest of it hung loosely around her shoulders, then after one more spin in front of the mirror she walked over to the door and opened it.

Verin stood there all trimmed up and wearing a blue suit. She eyed him as he reached his hand out to her. "Oh o don't you look fancy," she teased.

He beamed as he said, "Thank you and you look.." his voice caught as he looked at her. "Beautiful," he breathed.

She felt her cheeks flush as she took his hand.

He regained his composer and pulled her close tucking her arm under his as he push open a rift.

***

The golden light of sun set bathed them as they step out on to the green hill side that had once been her place of refuge.

She looked around a bit confused. "Why are we here?"

Verin waved his hand and basket under the tree opened as a sheet unfolded and a set of glasses and plats with food placed themselves.

"Oh a picnic," she exclaimed with delight.

He nodded, led her over and helped her sit down.

XRenia picked up a fried drumstick from her plate and scooted closer to him as he sat down beside her. "Thank you, this is wonderful," she said as she watched the sun slowly shrink over the horizon.

Verin leaned his back against the great oak and wrapped his arm around her as he picked up one of the crystal glasses and sipped grape juices from it. "I am glad you like it. It took me some time to think of a date you would actually enjoy."

"Oh this is a date?" she teased.

"The first of many. At least I hope so," he answered.

"Me to," she said as she laid her head against his shoulder.

They sat and ate the simple meal of fried chicken and sandwiches in companionable silence as they watch the sun go down, knowing full well tomorrow everything could change.

As the last of the light faded Verin formed a light spell and stood up to start cleaning.

XRenia stood up beside him and grabbed his hand. "Wait," she said pulling herself close to him. "Because of everything that's happing, there is not going to be a ceremony tomorrow," she told him and meaningfully guided his hands to the low hanging neck line of her dress. "Let's not waste any of the time we have together," she continued slipping his hand under the fabric.