Chapter 7

Walking down the hall with her rescuer, Beth began to notice a painful ache where the needles of the syringes and pierced her skin. She remembered the note, it had said "death." Did that mean that there was poison in her veins? She checked herself. Other than the ache you feel after getting a shot, she felt fine.

"My name is Gloria Navarro." Said the Hispanic woman. "I'm a technician specialist."

Beth glanced at the woman's uniform, not only was Gloria a tech specialist, the insignia on her uniform indicated that she was the head technician specialist. In her care, Beth's incident would surely be reported to the captain. If those who did this to her were dangerous, they needed to be locked up.

Beth was still in shock with all that had happened. She replied to Gloria in a shaken voice, "I'm Beth Fields."

"Well, it's nice to meet you, Beth." Gloria said kindly "Let's get you taken care of, then you can file a report against the ones responsible for this."

"Okay." Said Beth.

When they reached the medical bay, Gloria got Beth situated with a doctor. "I'll be back to check on you in a while. I'm gonna go look at the passenger logs to see which person was associated with that room."

"Thank you," said Beth, tears coming to her eyes. She wondered what would be happening right now if Gloria hadn't come when she did.

Beth explained all that had happened to the doctor. Accompanied by a few nurses, the doctor examined her. They did a full checkup and took several blood tests. After this, she was told to wait, as they ran chemical analyses on her blood.

Beth sat in the hospital bed, fear pounding in her chest, as she anxiously waited for the doctor's return. After what seemed like forever, he returned.

"We've identified several unknown compounds on your system. They seem to be harmless. Other than that, you seem to be fine, but as a precaution, we would like to hold you for a twenty-four hour observation period."

"That's fine." Said Beth in a small voice.

"Call if you need anything." Said the doctor. "Just press the button on the monitor beside your bed."

"I will, thanks." Replied Beth.

With some of her fear relieved, Beth realized how tired she was and dozed off.

She awakened with a hand softly touching her cheek. She opened her eyes and saw Liam standing over her.

When Liam saw that she was awake, he said: "I came as soon as I heard. Are you okay? When did this happen?"

Beth felt her heart beat a little faster at the tender concern in his voice. "Someone grabbed me right after I told you about the note."

"But I got a message from you later that day, saying you were fine and not to stress about it," Liam said.

"That wasn't me," Beth replied. "I think they hacked my account."

"Do you want to talk about what happened?" Liam asked.

Beth related to the whole story to him. Soon after, Gloria came back.

"Hi, I'm Gloria." She said, holding her hand out to Liam. "You must be Beth's boyfriend."

"No, we're just friends," Beth told her. "This is Liam." Gloria and Liam shook hands.

"Any news?" Asked Beth.

"Not much, whoever resided in that room must have hacked the system. All the data was wiped. That room was registered as 'unused'. And that's not possible because every accommodation on this ship is supposed to be occupied." Gloria informed them.

"Then, whatever's going on must be serious," Beth said.

"Yes, and I've already notified security of the situation. They are looking into it," replied Gloria. "An officer should be stopping by sometime today to ask you some questions. And you can also file a report." She added.

"Thanks for doing all of this for me, Gloria," said Beth.

"No problem." Gloria Replied. "I'm just glad you're okay. The doctor filled me in on your results, by the way."

"Yeah, I was worried the injections were deadly, but I guess 'unknown compound' is better than poison,"

"That's for sure," Liam said.

"Well, it was nice meeting you Liam, but I've got to get back to work," said Gloria. "see you later Beth."

"See you," Beth replied as Gloria turned to leave. Once they were alone, Liam said: "I was so worried about you. I'm so sorry I didn't come check on you. I should've come to hang out when you first messaged me." He put his head in his hands.

Beth reached over and pulled his hand down, uncovering his face. "None of this is your fault. You couldn't have known this would happen," she told him. Her hand was still touching his. The touch soothed him.

"If something would have happened to you..." his words faded. He looked into her eyes. despite all she had been through, they were calm and reassuring.

Just then, an officer came in. "Beth Fields?" he asked

"That's me." Answered Beth.

"I'm here to ask you some questions. If that's okay?" and I would like you to fill out this report."

"Sure, I can do that," said Beth. She looked over at Liam. He had gotten up to leave.

"I've got a lot of work to finish. I'll see you soon Beth." Before she could even reply, he was out the door.

After being asked all those questions and filling out the report, Beth was quite tired. A few minutes after the officer left, a nurse came in with some dinner. Her stomach rumbled. She hadn't eaten in a while. She gobbled up the food ignoring the taste and texture. Feeling safe and content, she soon fell asleep.