Chapter 57

Officer Carter stepped into the captain's office and cleared his throat.

"Someone is here to see you." He said.

"Thank you, please send them in." The captain replied.

The officer left and the captain quickly finished up what he was working on.

His eyes opened in surprise when he saw who entered. One face he recognized as Kelbar, the lone native they'd met upon arrival, but there were two others that were strangers to him. He'd doubted he would ever see Kelbar again, let alone any more of his kind. Although, he did expect a meeting of some sort as both species increased in population.

Kelbar saw the shock in the captain's face, so he broke the silence and spoke first.

"Hello, Captain Caleb West." He said in English.

The captain looked all the more shocked.

Kelbar continued. "Please...do not" He paused, looking for the right words. "Please do not be alarmed."

The captain relaxed a little and asked. "Why are you here?" Speaking slowly, so they would understand.

"We have...traveled... many a day." Kelbar began, obviously struggling.

The captain interrupted. "You can speak your language if it's easier for you. I've become quite adept at understanding and speaking yours."

Kelbar nodded and smiled. "Thank you." Then turned to Jakam. "You should speak to the captain, you are our leader."

The captain only caught a few words when Kelbar spoke to one of the others of his kind. Something about a leader?

"This is the leader of the village I found underground. I have helped him adjust to life on the topside. We are here so you can meet. Our ultimate goal is peace." Kelbar said to the captain.

"Do you understand my words?" He added.

"Yes." The captain replied. "But speak slowly, I'm still learning," He said this in their language.

Jakam stepped closer and began. "As Kelbar has already said, I am the leader of my people as you are the leader of yours. I am sure you desire peace as well. And I'm sure we can live in harmony and share this planet we occupy."

"I fully agree." The captain said confidently.

Jakam smiled and his mind relaxed. He had been unsure of these 'humans'. Kelbar had filled him in on their story, but his encounters with them had been brief. He'd only met two young ones and the man they'd found the previous day.

"Is there anything at all we need to discuss? Any rules, warnings, or boundaries?" Asked the captain. "After all, this is your homeworld. We are the aliens here, but now it's the only home we have."

"We can be in communication with each other. I'm thinking maybe annual meetings. They don't need to be often. Right now our populations are not very large and our villages are very many days journey apart from one another. It's a miracle we were able to find your village at all, but Kelbar was able to lead us here."

"I honestly didn't expect to see Kelbar or any of your kind for a very long time. I was surprised to see you so soon." The captain replied.

"Beth, the human girl, you probably know her?" Jakam asked.

"Yes, I do. She has some very unique abilities. We don't yet fully understand them, but she seems to be doing fine."

"She has been to our village and has told of me of these things. She seems very nice. I was thinking we could ask her to assist us in our further meetings. To save us all the time of traveling. Only with your and her permission though."