Chapter 67

As her momentary blindness caused by the sudden flash of light faded, Beth began to recognize her surroundings. She was lying beside the lakeshore near the colony. A weird feeling of hopeful dread filled her. She was afraid to look around. Afraid that her colony wouldn't be there, and that she had merely teleported away from the danger of the Slayer.

Beth slowly turned her head. There stood a beautiful cabin, right on the edge of the lake. The architecture was exquisite. Her eyes welled with tears. She recognized the handiwork. Liam had built this house.

Fear gripped her heart. As she stood, tears streamed down her face. One question echoed in her mind. How long have I been gone?

Her heart pounded. She felt lost in a sea of despair. She needed to find a familiar face.

She knew exactly who to go to, someone who always kept a cool head in any situation. Someone who would do anything for the safety and well-being of others. Captain Caleb West.

Beth bit her lip worriedly as she made her way to the Captain's quarters. Everything looked so advanced. The thought of all the time that could have passed scared her. The path beneath her feet was expertly paved with red brick made from Viscordian soil. All the buildings she passed by were fully furnished. Every person she passed looked happy and comfortable. The air of unfamiliarity was gone and people moved about as if they'd always lived there. This was their home now.

Beth suddenly stopped in her tracks, eyes wide with shock. She'd come to the place where the Starship Songbird used to lay. The ship was completely gone, and a lovely park had been built in its place. She scanned the vast field of teal grass and red-bricked paths. People milled about and children played happily. Her eyes alighted on a structure that sat at the park's center. For a moment her troubles were forgotten and she was propelled by curiosity.

She strolled nearer and gasped in surprise at what she saw. It was a beautifully crafted monument of the earth with a fountain around it. The sound of the water soothed her and she found herself taking a seat beside the fountain and closing her eyes.

Seeing the colony doing so well gave her a feeling of peace. That despite her own troubles, everything was okay.

With a new resolve, Beth got up and continued on her way to see the Captain. Her world as she knew it might be in shambles, but she would embrace her future, no matter what.

__________

The Captain sighed as he heard a knock on his office door. Lunch would have to wait a few minutes. He cleared his throat, "Come in."

At first, he didn't recognize the person who stepped through his door. Then his eyes widened. "Oh my stars! Beth is that you?"

Beth was beyond relieved to see that the Captain looked no older than the last time she'd seen him. "Yes, it's me."

The Captain stood and came to her, wrapping her up into a fatherly hug. "What in the world happened to you?" He asked.

Tears were drawn to Beth's eyes at the remembrance of her own father's lack of affection. She melted into the Captain's embrace and began to sob. All the emotions of the past several days poured out of her. He held her until she quieted, comforting her the entire time.

When Beth withdrew from the Captain's arms she saw deep concern in his eyes. "Are you okay?" He asked.

"Yeah, I'm fine." She sniffled in reply.

"You must have been through a lot. Do you want to tell me about it?"

"I'll try," Beth answered.