Chapter 9

"We've identified the second assailant. Although we do not know if any others were involved." Said head security officer David Carter.

   "Thanks for informing me." Said the captain.

   "Anytime sir."

   "How is the girl doing?" asked the captain.

   "She's doing very well, considering what happened. The chemists are working overtime to find out what they injected her with." Said Carter.

   "I'll let you get back to your investigation." Said the captain. "Keep up the good work."

   "Yes, sir," Carter said, then turned and left.

   Caleb West would go from captain of a starship to leader of a new colony as soon as they touched down on Nyx. Having an extraordinary amount of responsibilities, he was under continual pressure. He sometimes felt like he carried the weight of the whole world on his shoulders. Despite the fact that other men would break under similar circumstance, Captain West had an unimaginable willpower. He could withstand anything the world had to throw at him.

   The captain was a middle aged man, average height and wise beyond his years. He had dirty blonde hair, which was greying at the temples and icy grey eyes that were full of honesty and trust. The wrinkles on his face were in all of the right places. Caused by years of smiling. Even in the direst occasions, he grasped firmly to hope and joy, but overall, he was a great leader.

   "Was it cabin fever?" What drove these men to do what they did? Every man woman and child on this ship had to go through extensive background checks, psych evaluations, and screenings to see if they were eligible to be here. How had men managed to slip through the cracks?" these were the thoughts of the captain as he sat, contemplating at his desk. He had expected, that through this program they would escape the everyday dramas of earth, but humans will be humans and doing sinful and nonsensical things is just part of their nature. Captain West was determined to change that. He believed the human race could be better, that they could develop a new culture, a new way of life, and he was glad to fight for it.

   He decided he would talk to the men in the brig. Maybe teach them some common sense. He would be reasonable with them, give them a chance to explain themselves, ask them if they knew what they did was wrong. If they proved to be genuinely ashamed of what they did and thoroughly apologized for the wrongdoings, he may give them a second chance. On the other hand, if they proved to be lunatics, or thought that they did was right or necessary, he would have no choice but to keep them locked up or send them back to earth.

   "Captain, it's a pleasure to see you." Said officer carter.

   "I haven't been in this part of the ship in a while." Stated the captain.

   "We've been interrogating the prisoners without many results. As a matter of fact, we've gotten practically nothing out of them." Carter reported.

   "I'm here to talk with them. If they are still unwilling to comply, we'll give them a deadline and after that, if they still won't explain their case, I want them sent back to earth," ordered the captain.

   He then stepped through a door and into a room where the captives were being held. The two men raised their heads to see who had entered.

   The captain looked into their faces. They appeared to be very sane and intelligent. Far from the semblance of a lunatic. Maybe there was a chance he could reason with them.

   "You probably know me. I am captain Caleb West of the starship Songbird. I understand that the two of you have committed a grievance aboard this ship.

   The men remained silent.

   "I am here to give you a chance to explain. In the hopes that what you have done might be sensibly understood." Continued the captain.

   The men still kept their silence.

   "Alright then. Can you please just answer me one thing so that I may discontinue wasting my time?" the captain said, trying to keep his patience.

   No answer.

   "Okay. I'll give you a deadline of two weeks. That is plenty of time to decide your fate. I thoroughly hope you choose to communicate!" said the captain before he walked out the door.

   Sitting in their cheerless cell, the men spoke quietly to each other.

   "The worst that could happen is us being sent back to earth." Said one.

   "But we don't want to go back there, that would surely mean death." Said the other. "What we did was kidnapping and borderline mutiny."

   "You're saying we come clean?"

   "If we do, I'll request a private audience with the captain. I'm almost sure that this room is bugged."

   "Let's not be too hasty. We need to be smart about this."

   "At least the captain was generous. We have two weeks. That's plenty of time."

   With that, they both fell silent. Each consumed with their own thoughts.
_____

   Beth entered the mess hall or dinner. She was unexpectedly embraced in a hug. It was Liam, who had been waiting for her to arrive and rushed at her as soon as she entered the room.

   Beth hugged him back and then let go. "You're acting like you haven't seen me in years."

   "I was worried you wouldn't show up again," Liam replied.

   "Well, I'm here now. And there's no need to worry."