Chapter One ~ The Sprout of the Rose

All Rights Reserved.

⤝O⤞

My eyes gradually opened as the sun streams in through the blue flowered curtains. I rolled over to my side and stretched a little, before throwing the covers off my nightgown-clad body.

I prepare to get up and am startled when the door is slammed open and a pig came running into my room.

"Lily!" I scold. This has become a recurring thing, you get used to it after the fifteenth time.

"Crabby wanted to wish you a good morning," my younger sister told me. She was thirteen years old with blond braided hair decorated with white transparent ribbons. She had a square face, innocent blue eyes, and pink lips that were upturned into a smile. She wore a simple blue dress that used to belong to me and before that Prim, our older sister.

"My room will begin to smell like a pigsty," I said, getting up from the bed and walking to my closet

"My room will begin to smell like a pigsty," I said, getting up from the bed and walking to my closet. "And need I remind you that pigs cannot wish people a good morning."

She stuck out her tongue at me once I came out of the closet with a purple dress embroidered with gold flowers. She picked up her pig and cradled it in her arms, cooing at it as if it were her child.

"Why don't you ever wish Prim a good morning with your lovely pig?" I grumbled as I stalked out of the room. Lily trailed after me with a skip in her step, as she followed me down the rickety old wooden stairs.

"Because Prim is absolutely horrendous in the morning," she said, petting her pig. I opened the white front door and head towards the Well besides our small barn.

"Lily, that's your older sister you're talking about. Don't be rude," I chided her as I hand her the bucket to hold. She released her pig, who ran back to the barn where his mother was. I begin to pull on the rope of the well, raising another bucket full of water.

"I'm simply stating the truth," Lily answered me.

I shook my head and replaced the empty bucket with the water-filled one. I proceeded to walk back to the house with Lily skipping beside me.

When I walked back into the house, I see Prim, my older sister of twenty-two years of age, beginning breakfast. Prim also had blond hair like Lily but she allowed it to freely drape her back, reaching the end of her back. She had blue eyes, a pointed nose, and bloody red lips. She was quite tall and she worked gracefully as she cracked the eggs in a clean rusty pan.

 She was quite tall and she worked gracefully as she cracked the eggs in a clean rusty pan